If you have the passion for blogging and want to share your mind to the world, then questions about the best blogging platform to choose may arise. There are many blogging platforms to choose from which can be overwhelming for you. It is imperative that you have a guide, so you don’t make the mistake of choosing a wrong platform for your type of blogging. Here is an article to enlighten you on the blogging platforms that exist. Each blogging platforms has their strength and weakness so you should take note of that when making your decision.
See Table of Contents:
6 Best Blogging Platforms
With WordPress.org, you can build a website or blog by yourself. You’ll need to get your blog hosted by choosing your preferred web hosting provider.
- WordPress.org, allows you to be in total control of your website.
- You can beautify your blog by using themes from tons of free & paid themes available.
- You get to choose from thousands of plugins to add functionality to your blog.
- You can grow and enlarge your blog with features such as forum, membership, online store options
- WordPress is search engine friendly
- Learning and managing WordPress takes a learning curve
- You’re left to manage your security and backup.
Blogger is an old blogging platform that most veterans have used. It offers free domain name but with .blogspot.com added to it. You have the choice of using the free templates available which can also be modified. It is integrated with a Google account which means you can easily sign up using your Google account.
- You don’t need to have technical skills to setup and manage a blog using Blogger
- You can upload thousands of photos, posts and more, safely.
- An advantage is that you’re covered by Google large secure platform and reliability
- Limited in tools to enhance blogging
- Updates and new features are not usually added
When big names of blogging platforms are mentioned, Joomla often appears by the side of WordPress . This platform is a similar CMS to WordPress. They are both open source and are great in extendability. Joomla is easy to maintain and has more settings to work with than WordPress making it to have a steeper learning curve .
- More built-in settings are available than WordPress
- Blogs and website created with Joomla are easy to maintain due to its seamless update.
- A comprehensive documentation coupled with an help portal can help you through Joomla usage.
- It has fewer themes than its competitors
WordPress.com is different from WordPress.org and should not be confused. It is a blog hosting service owned by Automattic. WordPress.com that gives you free basic blog hosting service. Additional features like custom domain name can be gotten by paying for them.
- Easy usage and management
- No setup required
- Options to expand your site are limited
- WordPress.com can suspend your blog if you violate their terms of service
- Advertisements cannot be placed on the blog
A cloud based web development platform, Wix offers customizable website templates to design your blog. Futhermore, it is a drag and drop website builder that allows you to add images, apps, graphics, fonts and other options.
- Blog can be built with drag and drop HTML 5
- Easy to use and you don’t need to have coding skills
- New features are not allowed to be installed and it requires pre authorization.
Tumblr allows you to share anything on the web including photos, quotes with its blogging, microblogging and social networking capabilities. It is easy to use and finds a place among the younger generation.
- Very easy to use
- Social media components are integrated into it
- Tumblr gives you the ability to customize your page unlike other social networking site.
- Limited in features when compared to other platforms
- There’s difficulty in exporting your site to other platforms