Do you envy your friends with Android devices that come with the gesture unlocking feature? Well, all I can say to you now is to envy no more as a panacea to your problem is here. It is now possible to add the gesture unlock feature to Android OS devices that do not have it natively. In this tutorial, I’ll guide you on how to add this feature without having to root your device – yes, I know that many users do not like rooting their device. As with most of my tutorials, you’ll have to use an app to achieve this. The app we’ll be using for this “how to” is Gesture Lock Screen, available on the Google Playstore for free.
How to Use Gesture Lock Screen app Unlock Feature on any Android device without rooting
As usual, follow these steps listed below:
- Download the Gesture Lock Screen app and install it on your device if you do not already have it. If you do have it, you can skip this step and move to the next step.
- Launch the app
- A “Create gesture” dialog box pops up, click on the “OK” button to continue
- Draw the gesture that you want on your screen, redraw the gesture to confirm it
- Create a recovery password in case you forgot the gesture
- A Settings screen comes up afterward; here, you can customize the app to suit your taste.
- When you are done customizing, you can save it
- Exit the app, press your lock button to lock your phone
- Press the lock button again and this time, draw the gesture to unlock your device
Note that there is a better way of adding this feature but it involves rooting the Android device and installing Xposed Installer – this is for the technically adept ones and not for casual users. Also, the free version of the Gesture Lock Screen app is laced with ads; although you can upgrade to a Pro version to disable the ads.
As the Android app ecosystem continues to expand each day, users are given the opportunity to experience features exclusive to some devices through the installation of certain apps.
I hope at the end of this lesson, your friends should be the ones envying you now and not the other way round. Leave a comment below in the comments box and have a wonderful day. Ciao