Below we have a detailed guide on how to unlock the bootloader on Huawei P20, P20 Pro and P20 Lite. The latest series of Huawei P20 smartphones have recently been announced and finally, the device has been sent to customers. Users who have already purchased one can read the procedure to unlock the bootloader of this phone.
Why do we want to unlock the Huawei P20 bootloader? Unlocking the bootloader will allow you to install system files on the new smartphone series, how to root or install a custom ROM.
Huawei lets you officially unlock the bootloader. However, it sells its devices with the bootloader locked for greater security and reliability as not all users are prone to modify system files.
Before proceeding, it is essential to make a backup of all data and apps on Huawei P20. If you don't know how to backup, you can read this article: Backup Android on Pc no Root | Simple guide.
Unlock Huawei P20 Bootloader
Immediately after completing the bootloader unlocking procedure, you can start making system-level changes. Some of the most popular include mods, TWRP custom recovery, root, and custom ROM installation.
You will need to connect your Android phone to your computer. Therefore, make sure you have correctly installed the USB drivers for Huawei P20. Otherwise, you can download the latest official Huawei drivers from our Android USB Driver section here:
Now, let's proceed with the following tutorial to unlock the Huawei P20 bootloader.
- Make sure the Fastboot, ADB and USB drivers are installed on the PC. You can install them on your PC by following this guide if they are not already installed.
- Enable Developer Options by going to Settings > Phone Information and tapping the build number multiple times.
- Enable USB debugging in Settings > Developer Options. Make sure USB Debugging is selected. [How to enable USB debugging]
- Go to Settings > Developer Options and enable 'OEM Unlock'.
- Back up all data because unlocking the bootloader will delete all your data.
- Charge your phone up to 50% first and make sure the phone does not turn off during the procedure, otherwise, it could be damaged.
- Write down the IMEI number and serial number in Settings > About > Status.
- You can also find these numbers on the packaging of your phone.
- Dial * # * # 1357946 # * # * on your phone and note the ' ID of the product.
Unlock Huawei P20 Bootloader
Get the unlock code from the Huawei website
- Step 1: Go to Huawei's website and sign up for an account. Login if you already have an account.
- Step-2: Go to Download and select Unlock Bootloader.
- Step-3: You will see a form. Fill out the form with all the information requested.
- Step-4: Click "Confirm" after completing all the information.
- Step-5: You will immediately see an unlock code. Write down the unlock code.
- Unlock Bootloader using ADB and Fastboot
- Step-6: Now connect your device to the PC. Make sure the developer and OEM options are enabled.
- Step-7: Open the command prompt and enter the following command.
adb reboot bootloader
- Step-8: The phone will reboot and enter bootloader mode.
- Step-9: Now enter the following command to finally unlock the bootloader.
fastboot oem unlock [unlock code]
- Step-10: Enter the unlock code you received from Huawei instead of [unlock code].
Congratulations, your device's bootloader is now unlocked. The device will be restored and all data will be removed.