If your kids are using your Mac, you probably would not want them to access certain websites you think is inappropriate for them to visit. Of course, adult websites come to mind, but there are also many other websites that you probably do not want your children to end up visiting.
As a parent and administrator of the Mac, you have the access to block access to certain websites on your computer. This blacklist is particularly helpful when you already know the website your kids are visiting which you do not approve of. With this blacklist, you will be able to prevent them from visiting the website on your Mac.
In this guide, we are going to show you how you can block access to specific sites on a Mac, regardless of the browser being used.
How to Block Access to Certain Websites on Mac
- First off, you need to make sure you are logged in to your Mac as the administrator.
- Next up, go to and then click on System Preferences.
- Click “Users & Groups” and then click the Lock icon at the bottom left corner of the preferences panel.
- Now, you need to type in your admin username.
- In the sidebar, click on the user for whom you would like to block access to certain websites. If you do not have a specific account for other users of your Mac, especially for your kids, this is a mistake! If that is the case, you should try to add a new user account for your kid on your Mac.
- Once you have selected the user you want to restrict access to specific websites for, click on the Enable parental controls checkbox.
- Next up, click on Open Parental Controls. If prompted, type in your admin password.
- Now, click on the Web tab and then select “Try to limit access to adult websites. With this setting alone, your Mac will prevent the account from accessing porn websites, but we should still go a step further by blocking specific websites on your Mac as well.
- Now, click on Customize.
- Under the “Never allow these websites” section, click on the plus (+) icon to add a website.
- Type in the domain name of the website(s) you want to block access for.
- When you are done, click OK.
From now on, whenever a user tries to access any of the blocked sites from that account, they will see a message in the browser saying “You cannot browse this page because it is restricted.”
These restrictions will be applied to all browsers on the computer. So no matter the browser the user is trying to access those websites with (ie. Safari, Chrome, Firefox), the user will still be denied access to the websites.
The same restrictions can also be used on iOS devices. The tutorial is coming soon.
If you have any questions, feedback, or contributions, make sure to share them in the comments section below.
You might want to catch up with these posts as well:
- How to Install Windows on Mac With BootCamp
- 5 ways to secure your Facebook account from Hackers
- How to Log In to Windows 10 without Microsoft Account
- How to Edit Photos on the iPhone X Using the Photos App
- How To Activate Text Message Forwarding Feature On iPhone & iPad Running iOS10.2