Printers have come a long way from expensive and complicated gadgets to lean and affordable accessories for almost all computer owners. However, as good as it is to buy a printer and unpack it, not being able to connect it to a Chromebook can seem rather disappointing. There are many things you can try, though. Let’s take a look at the article below.
CONNECT YOUR PRINTER TO THE INTERNET
Printers can also connect to the Internet nowadays. If yours is able to connect to a wired or wireless network, it is important to do this first.
- Turn on the printer.
- Connect it to your home network.
Note: Be sure to consult the printer user manual to see how to connect it to the Internet.
- Sign in to your Chromebook and connect it to the same network as your printer. Otherwise, you will not be able to connect them.
- Then, click on the time in the lower right corner of the screen.
- A window will appear. Select your settings. They are located at the top of the window and are represented with a gear icon.
- Scroll to the bottom and choose “Advanced”.
- This will expand the settings. Find the “Print” section and go to “Printers”.
- Click the “Add printer” button.
- Find your printer in the list of devices and click the “Add” button.
If your printer can’t connect to Wi-Fi, but your network is working properly, try turning the printer off and on again. Alternatively, you can try restoring your wireless network again.
CONNECT YOUR PRINTER WITHOUT INTERNET
If you want to connect your printer to your Chromebook without using the Internet, you can skip the step where you connect it to your home network. Start by clicking on the time on the Chromebook screen and proceed with the method described in the previous section.
- Sign in to your Chromebook if you haven’t already done so and click on the time in the lower right corner of the screen.
- Open the settings.
- Click on the “Advanced” button to expand them.
- In the “Print” section, select “Printers”.
- Click the “Add nearby printers” button to quickly add a printer. If you don’t see your printer in the list, choose “Add manually”.
- Enter the required information about the printer: give your printer a name and enter its IP address in the “Address” field. The most common protocol is “IPP”, so try it first. Typically, the queue is “ipp / print”.
- Finally, click on “Add”.
- If your Chromebook doesn’t support the printer, follow the steps outlined in the PPD files and in the printer configuration. The Chromebook will ask you to choose the manufacturer and model number of the printer. Check the printer label or user manual for this information.
- If your printer is not fully supported, you can follow the advanced installation path. Browse printer information by “emulation” or “printer language”. Next, select the “Generic” option. Finally, click on the “Add” button.
Note: If the problem persists, find the PostScript Printer Description (PPD) file. Following the previous steps, you will see the option “Or specify your PPD printer” and a box next to it. Here is where the “Browse” button is located. Click on it, find the corresponding PPD and choose “Open”.
UPDATE YOUR CHROMEBOOK
The Chromebook may refuse to collaborate because it hasn’t updated the operating system for some time.
If your Chromebook is set to automatically download updates, an “Update” notification will appear followed by an arrow pointing upwards in the lower right corner of the screen. Click on it and select “Restart to update” to complete the installation process. The Chromebook will then restart.
CHECK UPDATES MANUALLY
- Click on the time and enter the Settings.
- Click on the three horizontal lines in the upper left corner.
- Choose “About Chrome OS”.
- Select “Check for Updates”. If an update is available, the installation will begin automatically.
- The “Restart” button will be displayed in place of the previous button after installing the update. Click on it to complete the installation process and restart your Chromebook.
If you’ve managed to connect your printer, but it still isn’t working as it should, there is another thing you can try.
- In the lower right corner of the screen, click on the time.
- Select the gear icon to open the Settings.
- Scroll down and choose “Advanced”.
- Go to the “Print” section and select “Printers”.
- Find the name of your printer and click on the “Other” button (the three dots). From there, select “Edit”.
- See if you spelled some of the printer information wrong. If there are no typos, remove the printer and add it again. To do this, click on “Other” and select “Remove”.
- Then, set it up again.
PRINT A PAGE
If you’ve connected your printer correctly, the only thing left is to test it. This is done by printing the first page.
- Press Ctrl + P while viewing a document.
- Look for the “Destination” section and click the down arrow button next to it.
- Choose “See more …”
- Select your printer. If it doesn’t appear in the printer list, click “Manage”.
- Finally, click on the “Print” button.
PREPARE YOUR CARD
If your Chromebook can’t connect to your printer, don’t worry, there are numerous solutions. Make sure to apply them in succession. If nothing works, you can always ask the printer manufacturer for help.
How is your printer going? Maybe you know a method that we missed? Let us know what you think in the comments below.