Remember the CUBOT Rainbow? The $60 smartphone? If you do, good. The older brother of the CUBOT Rainbow – the CUBOT Rainbow 2 is up for review today.
Haven’t heard or seen the Rainbow? You can check it out HERE
The CUBOT Rainbow 2 breakdown. Shall we?
The CUBOT Rainbow 2 design is so dashing, beautiful and finely classic. The device which is just 7.9 mm thick has a special body paint which took CUBOT about 3 hours of continuous painting to give the Rainbow 2 that special look and feel on the hand. The Rainbow 2 “elastic painting” is built to resist scratches and even sticky fingerprint marks.
On the front face, the device has the custom Android soft-keys, front camera with flash and the front speaker for calls. At the back, the dual camera set-up is finely engineered at the top right corner, and next to it is a single LED flash. The volume adjuster and power/lock button can be found on the right side of the device.
The CUBOT Rainbow 2 comes with a 5.0’inch HD screen with 2.5D curved. The screen has a 1280 x 720 resolutions and pixel density of 294 pixels per inch (ppi). The Rainbow 2 screen with IPS display and GFF technology will take display experience to the next level on this device. Proper colour contrasting, saturation and sharp image production is assured on this device.
PROCESSOR & OS
CUBOT utilized the MediaTek MT6580A SoC chipset to handke processes on the Rainbow 2. In corroboration is a 32-bit QUAD CORE ARM Cortex-A7 CPU and ARM Mali-400 MP2 GPU for graphical processes. Applications are dependent on the 1 GB RAM to run smoothly and 16 GB of internal storage capacity for data storage.
Taking a critical and realistic stance here, the processor on the Rainbow 2 is quite good, but the 1GB RAM is a NO! A capital NO! There will definitely be lag and heat issues on the device whenever too many applications are run simultaneously. CUBOT could have done better here.
The internal storage of 16GB is however nice. If you aren’t OK with this, there is room for expansion of up to a huge 256GB through the use of an external SD card.
The CUBOT Rainbow 2 comes out of the box with the latest Android 7.0 Nougat operating system. Recall that the Android 7.0 has features like improve battery optimization, faster app installation (up to 75% faster) and low storage consumption. These features together with the processor would make processes on the Rainbow 2 go as smoothly as possible.
Also Check Out:
One of the major distinctive feature of the Rainbow 2 from the Rainbow is the presence of the Dual camera.
The main rear camera in the dual set-up is a CMOS 13.0 MP shooter that takes beautiful and well lighted shots and a secondary rear camera of 2.0 MP which measures the depth of the field while taking pictures. The combined effect of the “twin camera” produces nice (in fact, more than nice) and impressive photos.
On the front, there is a 5.0 MP selfie camera with built-in features like Intelligent Beauty to improve picture quality and for post-shoot beautification. A 50mA soft LED flash to brighten up selfies in low and high light is placed beside the front camera.
The CUBOT Rainbow 2 has a 2350mAh Li-ion battery. The battery capacity is small and would definitely not last a day on heavy or mid usage given the low RAM and HD display.
The CUBOT Rainbow 2 is a great device. A great improvement of the CUBOT Rainbow. Better battery, Android 7.0, dual rear camera set-up but sadly, the same poor 1GB RAM. All-in-all, it is a device that’s worth the price.
CUBOT RAINBOW 2 SPECIFICATIONS SUMMARY
- Brand – Cubot
- Model – Rainbow 2
- Device Type – Android 3G Smartphone
- CPU – Quad-Core 1.3GHz ARM Cortex A7
- Chipset – MediaTek MT6580A
- GPU – ARM Mali-400 MP2, 2-Cores
- Camera – 13 Megapixels + 2 Megapixels with LED and AF Rear Camera | 5 Megapixel Front camera
- Memory – RAM- 1GB | ROM 16GB External Memory Supports Up to 256GB
- Display – Screen size 5.0 inches HD Display (1280 x 720 Pixels)
- Battery – Removable 2,350 mAh Lithium-Ion
- SIM – Dual SIM (Micro+ Micro)
- Sensors – Accelerometer, Proximity, Light
- Color – Black, White, Red, Gold, Blue
- Operating System – Android 7.0 Nougat
- I/O Interface – Micro USB v2.0 Port, 3.5mm Audio Out Port, Power Button, Volume Button, Microphone, Speaker
- Dimensions – 144 x 72 x 7.9 mm
- Weight – 165 Grams (With Battery)
- More Feature – Plastic Body Design, HSUPA 5.76 Mbps Upload, HSDPA 21 Mbps Download, Computer Sync, OTA Sync, Tethering, HotKnot, FM Radio, 2.5D Curved Glass Screen, 5V/1A Charger Output Power.
- Cubot R9 Review: Ultra Slim Smartphone, Specs, Features & Price
- CUBOT Rainbow: The $60 Smartphone Review, Features & Price
- Cubot CHEETAH 2 4G Phablet Review, Specifications and Price
- Cubot P11 Price in Nigeria and Kenya
- Cubot X15 Price in Nigeria, Ghana and Kenya
- Philips S318 Specs Review, Price and Where to buy