Of course, life without the Home button on the iPhone X may be slightly convenient for a while and as such, you will need to get used to the new ways of carrying out operations which involved using the Home button on previous iPhones. Some of these operations require a totally different method to carry out. One of these operations is putting iPhone X into DFU mode.
SEE ALSO: How To Add And Edit Widgets on iPhone X
For those who may not know, DFU (Device Firmware Upgrade) mode is used not just to troubleshoot complex issues. Considering how important DFU mode is, it only makes sense to create a quick guide on how to enter the mode on iPhone X.
How to Put iPhone X into the DFU Mode
Note: Make sure that you have updated iTunes on your computer to the latest version.
- Connect your iPhone X to your computer using a USB cable.
- Open the iTunes app on your computer.
- Next, turn off your iPhone as you would normally.
- Now, press and hold the power button on the right side of your iPhone X for 3 seconds.
- Next, press and hold the volume down button the left side of your iPhone X while still holding the side button down.
- Keep both buttons pressed down for 10 seconds.
- Note: If the Apple logo appears on the screen, you would have to turn the device off and follow the steps above again. Hence, make sure you do not hold down the buttons for too long.
- Next, release the power button but keep the volume down button pressed for about five seconds.
Note: If a “Plug into iTunes” screen appears. it means that your devices entered into recovery mode instead. If that happens, you need to turn off your device and follow the steps all over again. Hence, make sure that you do not hold down the buttons for too long.
If your iPhone’s screen remains black, it means that you have successfully entered into DFU mode.
An alert will come up in iTunes on your computer saying that it has detected your iPhone and it will allow it to be restored.
How to Find out Whether Your iPhone Entered DFU Mode or Not
If while following the steps above the Apple logo appears on your screen, it means that you did not follow the steps correctly. Now, you need to follow the steps all over again.
If the iTunes logo appears on your screen, this means that you haven’t followed the steps correctly and your iPhone X entered into Recovery mode instead. Now turn off your device and follow the steps again.
If after following the steps the alert doesn’t appear in iTunes on your computer, it means you didn’t follow the steps correctly. Simply start over.
How to Exit DFU Mode on iPhone X, 8 or 8 Plus
After you are done restoring your iPhone X, it will exit DFU mode itself. However, if you entered DFU mode by mistake and you want to exit, simply hold down the power button and the volume button until you see the Apple logo to restart the device.
So what has been your experience without the Home button on the iPhone X? Share your feedback in the comments section below.