Since a lot of us have Google accounts, making use of the 15GB of free storage or anything they are offering for new accounts has to happen when it comes to backing up.
You do not necessarily need to own an Android device too, you can just backup your iPhone to Google Drive or Google Photos. What will happen when you wish to download images or clips from Google Photos to your smartphone? How can you make it happen?
For instance, I recently factory reset my Samsung Galaxy and intended to pull down every picture and clips I have so they can be saved locally and in the cloud too. Even if you can see and perform simple edits from inside Google Drive, if you wish to do more, you have to download from Google Photos to your device. This article will break it down for you.
You Might Also Want To Read: How To Connect A USB Flash Drive To Your Android Phone?
How Can I Download Videos From Google Photos?
The precise method of downloading from Google Drive is dependent on how they are organized. If there are files in folders, you can decide to download the full folder or specific items inside the folder. I will highlight both. The steps differ between Android and iPhone so I will break down both of those as well.
Downloading everything you synced to the cloud to an Android device is also possible. I will highlight that as well.
Download images and clips to Android:
- Launch Google Photos from inside your Android phone, ensuring you are connected to WiFi.
- Choose a file and the 3 dot menu icon.
- Choose Download.
- Repeat for every item you intend to download.
These instructions do the job if you only have some items you wish to download. It could be simpler to have them sorted into folders.
Download a folder to your device:
- Launch Google Photos from your phone.
- Choose a folder and the 3 dot menu icon.
- Choose Download.
- Rinse and repeat.
The folder gets downloaded as a .zip file so you have to decompress it for it to function as it should on your device.
You Might Also Want To Read: How To Locate Your GPS Coordinates On Your Android Phone?
Download images and clips from Google Photos to an iPhone:
- Launch “Google Drive” on your iOS device.
- Choose the 3 dot menu icon close to the file or folder that you wish to download.
- Choose Open In and choose an application on your mobile device.
- A copy of the picture or clip will be stored onto your device and opened in the application you chose. The file can even be manually downloaded without opening it if you want
To do that, do this:
- Launch “Google Drive” on your iPhone.
- Choose the 3 dot menu icon and choose Send a Copy.
- Choose Save Image or Save Video from the menu.
This will save a copy of the file and keep a copy in Google Photos.
How Can I Download Everything From Google Drive?
If you are an Android owner and you recently did a factory reset, you will need to download your contacts, files, photos, videos e.t.c. Even if that can be done one by one from Google Drive, Google Takeout can be useful as well. It is a clean feature that allows you to download everything on your device.
- Use this link to Google Takeout and get yourself logged in if you are asked to.
- Choose every element from the page you wish to download.
- Choose “Next Step.”
- Decide on how you wish to receive your download and let Google send the link.
- Access the link from your device with WiFi and download your data.
It could take some time but it depends on the amount of data you backed up to Google Drive.