Facebook is the largest social media platform in the world, with the most accounts and active users. Although this has many positive aspects, it seems that Facebook is becoming overcrowded.
For a few years after the creation of Facebook, you were lucky if you had 100 friends, and some thought they were too many. Now, everyone and even my grandmother have a profile and they will add you even if you only met them once. This is fine until they start sending spam to your inbox.
As soon as they see a green dot next to your name, some acquaintances will hit you and bombard you with messages. If this is a problem you face, you can simply log in to Facebook without letting others know.
HOW TO DEACTIVATE THE ACTIVE STATUS
Your active status is what gives you on Facebook. As soon as you are online, others will see you on their active user list with a big green dot attached to your name. Similarly, you will see their status active if they have enabled this option.
Each has its own active status by default on Facebook and Messenger. When you disable it, you will no longer know if your friends are active or were recently active. More importantly, they won't see you either.
There is a slight delay between being active and being active recently, it is not specified how long it takes to change. To completely exit the grid, it is necessary to deactivate the active status on all devices. Let's take a look at how you can do it.
HOW TO DEACTIVATE THE ACTIVE STATUS ON THE BROWSER
Facebook has reported recent statistics showing that over 95% of its active users use Facebook on their smartphones. But you can still access it via your browser on any device.
ACTIVE STATUS ON FACEBOOK CHAT
Follow these steps to deactivate the active state:
- Access Facebook on your browser.
- Look at the chat menu in the lower right corner.
- Click the gear icon (Options), further to the right.
- Choose Disable active status.
- You can choose to disable it completely, only for some contacts or for all contacts except those chosen.
This is actually the platform that allows you to be the most specific about your business. If you want to make yourself invisible only to your exs, or only visible to your closest friends, use Facebook chat through your browser. It's up to you to decide who can see you and who can't.
ACTIVE STATUS AT MESSENGER
Turn it off like this:
- Log in to Messenger using a browser.
- The chat is now on the left side and the gear icon is in the upper left corner.
- Click on it and then on Settings.
- The first thing you'll notice is a "Show when you're active" switch in the center of the screen.
- Click on the switch to go offline and switch from green to gray.
This is quite simple and there are no additional specifications.
HOW TO DEACTIVATE THE ACTIVE STATE ON IOS AND ANDROID APP
The relevant features are identical on Messenger for iOS and Messenger for Android. Here's what you need to do to disable:
- Start Messenger on your iPhone or Android phone.
- Look for your profile picture in the upper left corner for iOS or after touching the gear icon in the upper right corner for Android.
- You should see the Active Status feature at the bottom of the screen.
- When you touch it, you will see the slider for "Show when you are active".
- Turn this off.
HIDE THE GREEN POINT TODAY
Staying invisible on Facebook is not difficult, but you have to do it on all the apps and devices you use to access Facebook. Many believe that the process is not transparent enough, because Facebook wants all its users to be available and easily reachable every time you log in.
If people notice that you were active recently, they will send you a message even when you don't have time to respond. You can become rude or uncommunicative, so it's usually best to deactivate your active status.
What are your thoughts on this? Do you prefer to browse incognito on Facebook or do you want to be available to all your friends? Let us know what you think in the comments below.