Instagram has been around for a while. It is likely that if you have an account, you have created it some time ago. When you look at your photos, you realize how much you grew, but... now your username is incorrect, not what you would like.
It's too childish, too average, in a nutshell, it's not the name you want. Whatever it is, you'd like to change it because you have a better idea. Or you simply have different interests and lifestyles. Or you have started a business and you need your Instagram account to be part of your marketing strategy and requires a name change.
Fortunately, Instagram doesn't ask you to explain your reasons. You can make this change whenever you want and as many times as you want. If you're wondering how, keep reading!
- 1 How to make changes to your Instagram profile
- 2 How to change your Instagram name in the app
- 3 How to change the Instagram name from your computer
- 4 What happens if the name I chose on Instagram is not free?
- 5 Does changing my name on Instagram affect my followers?
- 6 Can I return to my old Instagram name?
How to make changes to your Instagram profile
Making changes to your Instagram profile is fairly simple. Although your username is something your followers will remember, Instagram is one of the few platforms that allow you to change it. Also for other information on your profile is the same thing: you can also change the display name, your biography, etc.
This can really be a good thing for all the people who use their Instagram profiles for business. Do you have a new blog, an article or any link you want to share with your followers? You haven't reached 10,000 followers yet, so you don't have the option to scroll up?
No problem. Enter the link in your biography and inform your followers in a story. You can do it every time you have something new to share. Simply replace the old link with the new one.
Let's get back to the topic. How do you change the information on your profile?
First of all, know that you can make this update on your phone, using your Instagram app or on your computer, using a browser.
How to change your Instagram name in the app
Changing the name of the app takes no more than a minute since you already have a new name and it is available. What you need to do is:
- Go to your profile. You can do this by touching your profile photo in the lower right corner of the screen.
- Tap the Edit profile option in the center of the screen.
- Once the Edit Profile page is open, you can choose which information you want to change. Not just your username, but also your display name, biography, e-mail address, phone number or gender. Everything is possible to edit on Instagram. When finished, save your changes by tapping the ✔ mark in the upper right corner of the screen.
How to change the Instagram name from your computer
This takes no more time than doing it in the app. After opening the web browser, you need to:
- Go to Instagram.com and log in to your account.
- Click on the account icon. You will find it in the upper right corner of the screen.
- Click on the Edit profile option.
- Enter your changes and click Submit when done.
What happens if the name I chose on Instagram is not free?
Instagram will not allow you to change the name to one that has already been used. Unfortunately, you will have to think of a new one. But if you like the name you chose a lot, you could try some of these tricks before giving it up officially.
- Add a number! For example, if you wanted your username to be a lover of sunsets, but was taken down, try adding your birthday. Something like Sunsetlover11.
- Add an adjective! A landscape username may not be available, but what about breathtaking scenery?
- Double a letter! If your name is Sarah, for example, Sarrah isn't too bad, right? You can even triple it if the name is not yet available.
- Add a dot or an underscore! If sunsetlover11 still doesn't work, try sunset.lover.11 or sunset_lover_11.
Does changing my name on Instagram affect my followers?
If we're talking about your private Instagram profile, changing your name won't hurt you. Your friends and followers may initially get confused, but when they see your photos, they will understand that it is you. They will get used to your new name.
On the other hand, if you manage an Instagram profile for your business or someone else's, you may want to reconsider the change. People associate brands with names: these are part of the overall image of the brand and help your followers recognize you.
What if the Coca-Cola company suddenly decided to change the name of the drink? You would certainly be confused and this decision could affect their business.
Can I return to my old Instagram name?
If you think you've made a mistake by changing your Instagram name, you can always change it. Unless someone else has created an account in the meantime and taken your previous username, in which case you won't be able to retrieve it again.
That's why you should think twice before clicking or touching Save. Shakespeare may not know what's in a name, but Instagram users certainly know it.