Use Bluetooth technology to sync your Apple wireless headphones. The Apple AirPods are traditionally thought to only mate with other Apple products. However, other devices, like Chromebooks, can pair with AirPods via a Bluetooth connection and it’s surprisingly easy to set up and learn how to connect AirPods to a Chromebook.
How to connect Apple AirPods to a Chromebook
- Close any music or video apps on your iPhone or other Apple products before trying to connect your AirPods with a Chromebook. Operation of the same while connected to an Apple device can cause problems when trying to pair AirPods with the Chromebook.
- Select the Menu option on your Chromebook screen. This will likely be the tab showing the time, the Wi-Fi icon, and the battery life icon in the lower right corner of the screen.
- Select Bluetooth when the menu appears and turn on Bluetooth connection if it is turned off.
- Take your AirPods and charging case and open them, with AirPods inside. Keep the charging case nearby to recharge the AirPods. Bluetooth connections can significantly drain the battery of any wireless device. AirPods have approximately five hours of battery life and the case can add up to 24 hours of additional battery life.
- Press and hold the Pair button on the back of the AirPods case. This will allow you to detect your AirPods via the Bluetooth connection on your Chromebook. Once the LED light on your AirPods case is white, it should be available to pair with any nearby Bluetooth connection. Try to stay within 20 feet of your Chromebook to maintain AirPods’ Bluetooth connection.
- Select your AirPods from the list of available Bluetooth devices on your Chromebook. Confirm any requests displayed on the Chromebook. Once connected, the LED light on the AirPods case should turn green and the status in the Bluetooth settings of the Chromebook should be “connected”.
- To disconnect AirPods from your Chromebook, disable the Chromebook’s Bluetooth connection or press and hold the Pair button on the back of the AirPods case.
At this point, your AirPods will likely reconnect to the nearest Apple device. To reconnect your AirPods to the Chromebook, you will need to repeat the previous steps.