Would you like to be able to connect to watch videos of your iPhone on the TV? In addition to Apple TV, there are many other ways to enjoy all the contents of your iPhone or iPad on a TV. Here’s how to connect your iPad or iPhone to the TV.
If you’re trying to figure out how to connect your iPhone or iPad to a TV, you’re in the right place. Below we explain everything you need to know about connecting the iPad or iPhone to TV.
This way you can stream content from the small screen of the iPhone to the big screen of the TV. This procedure is as easy to perform as it is useful. Although Apple devices have amazing displays (especially the ultra-large 12.9-inch iPad Pro), it’s often more convenient to play videos and photos on a big screen instead of having to lose sight on a small screen.
Here’s why, we’ll explain how to connect iPad or iPhone to the TV. If your iPhone or iPad is working slowly, don’t forget to read the guide on: slow iPhone? 12 tricks to increase speed. If, on the other hand, you haven’t been cleaning your phone for a while, read this tutorial on: how to clear the cache on your iPhone or iPad. If you do not know how to update your Apple device read: how to update the iOS operating system on iPhone or iPad.
Digital Lightning-AV adapter
Probably the easiest way to connect an iPad or iPhone to a TV is through a Lightning Adapter – Digital AV. At its price (€ 59), you will have to add the price of an HDMI cable. Apple sells HDMI cables for € 34.95, but Amazon offers much cheaper options roughly € 6.49.
[amazon_link asins=’B07SB3JC45,B07RN5FMJK,B07W5T1Y49′ template=’ProductCarousel’ store=’uktechlector-21′ marketplace=’UK’ link_id=’add7efd3-9f57-4491-bd49-8eccfb9f3d5a’]
This small tool contains an HDMI port that you can connect to a TV, as well as a Lightning output that gives you the ability to charge your iPad or iPhone at the same time. Using a Lightning AV digital adapter can’t be easier:
- Connect one end of the HDMI cable to the adapter and the other end to an HDMI output of the TV (usually located in the back).
- Connect the adapter to the Lightning port on your iPad or iPhone.
- Optional: connect the cable to charge the phone to the Lightning port of the Digital AV Adapter.
Turn on the TV and set it to show the video from HDMI (usually done through the remote control). You will see the main screen of your iPhone or iPad on the TV. Perhaps the quality is rather negative. Don’t worry, this is only when the main page is displayed. The quality will improve in a few seconds.
Start playing a video on your iPad or iPhone. You can choose a movie from the Video app or choose a series of Netflix, YouTube or any other application to play videos. When you play, you will watch the video on television in high definition. On the iPad or iPhone you will see a screen that says Connected TV.
Now go to the ‘Control Center’, scroll to the left and choose ‘Video output’ to enable specific content from your iPhone to your TV, as we will explain below. Read on to discover other ways toconnect iPad or iPhone to TV.
Another way to enjoy the content of your iPhone or iPad on your TV is to use Apple TV and watch streaming videos through AirPlay.
To do this, connect Apple TV to the TV with an HDMI cable, then connect Apple TV to the wireless network.
Choose the appropriate settings for your TV so that the Apple TV menu screen appears on the TV screen.
Also, make sure your smartphone or tablet is connected to the same Wi-Fi network as your Apple TV.
- Play a video (using the Video app, YouTube, Safari, etc.).
- Scroll up from the bottom of the screen to view the ‘Control Center’. On iPad you will need to keep scrolling until the recent apps and control center appear (on the right).
- You have to touch the “Screen Mirroring” option, then select “Apple TV”. In iOS 10 select “AirPlay”, then “Apple TV”. You may need to scroll to the left to access the second page.
- Tap outside the “Control Center” to exit and tap “Play” to continue watching the movie.
- Search for the ‘AirPlay’ icon in your applications.
While playing the video, tap the AirPlay icon and choose Apple TV to start watching the streaming video.
How to perform screen mirroring
Sometimes it is not possible to stream a video from an application or a website on the TV. AirPlay compatibility is not suitable for everyone.
In this case, you may be interested in the mirroring option. This way you can “broadcast” everything that happens on the screen of your iPad or iPhone on the TV screen. This is another way to connect iPad or iPhone to the TV.
Simply swipe up the ‘Control Center’, select the ‘AirPlay’ option and then ‘AppleTV’.
How to watch videos and photos of your iPhone or iPad on your TV
To see photos and videos of your iPhone or iPad on your TV :
- Open the “Photos” application and select the “Share” button. Choose the photos you want to see by touching each one until a blue circle appears with a white arrow.
- Now select ‘AirPlay’ from the pop-up menu that will appear and choose ‘Apple TV’. Your photos will be visible on your TV. To change the photo that appears, simply swipe left or right.
How to play a photographic presentation
You can also set photos to appear automatically as a slide show. To do this:
- Reopen the ‘Share’ menu, select the photos you want to see (as in the previous step), but this time click on ‘Presentation’.
- You can see a menu with different options. Choose ‘Apple TV’ again. Tap “Transitions” to customize the appearance of the presentation.
- If you want to accompany the presentation with music, scroll to the right. Then select the “Music” option and choose the songs you would like to play while you advance in the presentation.
- Finally, you only need to touch ‘Slide show’ to start playing it on your TV.
To play the music stored on your iPhone, choose the song, album or playlist you want to listen to, scroll up to show the control center again, select “AirPlay” and then “Apple TV”. Your favorite songs will be played on your TV.
Apple Composite AV cable
If you have an old iPhone or iPad with a 30-pin connector, Apple composite AV cable is the best choice. You can buy it at the Apple Store or Amazon for € 25.
If it’s an iPhone 4s or earlier, or one of the first three generations of iPads, it will have a 30-pin connector.
The iPhone 5 and later versions, the iPad 4 and later versions, all the mini iPad Air and iPad models and the iPad Mini have Lightning, so if you have one of these Apple items you won’t have to worry about the composite AV cable.
It works similar to Lightning Digital to AV Connector Adapter, except that you will need to use the composite video input on your TV instead of the HDMI input.
Make sure the videos you want to watch are SD instead of HD.
These are the different ways to connect iPad or iPhone to the TV. And now… enjoy all the contents of your iPhone on the large and comfortable screen of your TV!