Doing away with Facebook completely is easier said than done. However, if you are fed up of always thinking Facebook is repeatedly eavesdropping on your conversations, it is possible to restrict the social network's ability to target you with advertisements.
You can hide advert topics, limit which parts of your information advertisers can use and stop Facebook from using partners' data for targeting and more. Facebook users can actually deactivate every potential way for Facebook advertisers to target them.
Let's get right into it and check out how you can control your Facebook adverts below:
How To Restrict The Advertisements Facebook Can Show You?
You Might Also Want To Read: How To Really Figure Out What Facebook Knows About You
- Head to Facebook's website or launch the app. The site is the better option here since it is simpler to control.
- Click "Settings" from the top-right drop-down menu.
- Select "Ads" on the far left.
This will be your main control panel for this tutorial. But let us begin by disabling 3 things in the "ad settings" section.
You Might Also Want To Read: How To Prevent Videos From Automatically Playing On Facebook?
- The 1st option is "ads based on data from partners." It will restrict advertisements according to data Facebook has acquired about you from its partners. Click it to have it changed to "not allowed."
- The 2nd one is "ads based on your activity on Facebook company products that you see elsewhere." If you disable it, you will restrict the advertisements that are visible on Instagram, WhatsApp, and Messenger. Click it to disable it.
- Lastly, "Ads that include your social actions." Facebook will no longer be able to use your name and likes for adverts shown to your friends and family. Disable it as well.
Restrict What Information Is Used For Ad Targetting On Facebook?
You have to also restrict which details Facebook can use for ads targetting and that can be done by accessing 2 sections in Facebook's ad settings.
- In "your information," under Facebook's ad settings, it is possible to turn off Facebook's ability to use your relationship status, your company, your job title and your education for advertisements. Ensure everything you do not wish to share is disabled.
- Now, click "hide ad topics." This is where you will be able to disable advertisements that particularly target 3 topics: Alcohol, parenting, and pets. Adverts can be hidden for 6 months, 12 months or permanently.
More Controls For Ad Targetting On Facebook
You have already done a lot to restrict Facebook's ad targeting, but there is a lot more that can be done. It will only take time. Head to "your categories" under "your information" of the ad controls.
You will be shown a list of ways Facebook has categorized you. It might feel you are a "newlywed, " for instance. These categories can be removed by tapping on every single one and clicking "remove category." Sadly though, there is presently no way to get rid of all the categories simultaneously.