At the time of the presentation of the new Xiaomi Redmi Note 5, the Face Unlock was highlighted, that is the possibility of using the facial unlock to access the smartphone. At the time of turning on the smartphone, however, this function is disabled and to activate it you need to take a few steps that I explain in this simple guide.
The Face Unlock on Xiaomi devices takes place at the best speed of about 500 milliseconds but its security level is not very high and the devices do not mount backlight systems that allow you to use the facial release in the dark. Despite these details, the unlock with the face is very convenient to use to unlock your smartphone and works quickly and accurately.
For which Xiaomi smartphone it is possible to enable the unlock with the face:
- Xiaomi Mi 8 – find our review here
- Xiaomi Mi Mix 2S – find our review here
- Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 – find our review here
How to enable the Face Unlock on Xiaomi | smartphone Guide
The main problem with activating face unlocking is the operating system’s purpose. The MIUI 9 has the facial unlock only active on Eastern markets and is disabled by default in the international version of the release. Fortunately, it is possible to get around this block quickly and easily and always keeping your smartphone in Italian and with correct date and time. To activate the Face Unlock on the Mi 8, Mi Mix 2S and Redmi Note 5, just follow these simple steps:
- Open your smartphone settings.
- In the search bar at the top, type “Region“.
- In your device, you will find Italy as a region, modify it and for convenience select “Hong Kong“.
- Now go back and stop on “Unlock screen and password“.
- Now click on “Add Face Data“.
- Proceed giving confirmation to frame your face.
- Now you have enabled the unlock with the face on your Xiaomi device and you can use it to unlock your smartphone with your face.
For now, this feature is not available for some region, if you return to change the system region you will lose the ability to use the Face Unlock. My advice is to set the region to Hong Kong or any other supported region and continue to use the device without worries, as this change does not involve any problem.