OnePlus 6, which was talked about in-depth in a review, is a spectacular device and has arrived on the market with Android 8.0 Oreo. Today, thanks to our guide, I’ll explain how to install Android P on OnePlus 6 in its Developer Preview version dedicated to developers.
Android P Developer Preview second release: opinions
The second release of the Android P Developer Preview for OnePlus 6 can be considered mature and stable and can certainly be used daily without particular problems or bugs. The ROM is available from a few days and can be easily installed on OP6.
This update introduces some innovations compared to the previous firmware and resolves numerous crashes of the app, of the settings and makes available all the personalizations and apps of OnePlus. Most of the changes have been made to the graphics interface of the device: the settings, notifications, quick setting and, more generally, the whole UI of the operating system has been revolutionized. Even the OnePlus launcher has been updated with some new features, but the new multitasking has not been introduced.
The operating system is fluid and fast and during our tests, we did not notice any noticeable slowdowns or bugs. The general management of hardware and software is well balanced and we did not run into problems of incompatibility with any application. A few small problems can be found in thenotch personalization system that does not work correctly on a graphic level and that presents some visualization problems, all minor details in the whole operating system.
Guide to installing Android P on OnePlus 6
- Installing Android P requires device reset.
- Before proceeding, back up important data.
- The encryption system is deactivated by default, activate it just after installation if you need to use it.
- The Face Unlock is not active by default and must be activated manually.
The steps are very simple but must be followed with order and precision. Let’s begin:
- Enable Developer Options on OnePlus 6: open the Settings, scroll to Phone Information, scroll to the Build Number, press 5 times and enter your PIN.
- Unlock the bootloader on OnePlus 6: go back to Settings, open Developer Options and activate the OEM Unlock feature.
- Download the second developer preview ROM on your smartphone from here or check out the OnePlus forum if there are new versions.
- Using the file manager to move the ROM .zip file to the root of your smartphone (on the main page).
- Update OnePlus 6 to Android P: open the Settings, step on System Update, click on Settings in the upper right corner, select Local Update, select the ROM you have just put in your phone’s root (if you do not see if you have the wrong folder) and proceed with the installation.
- Once the installation is finished proceed to switch off the phone.
- Enter Recovery mode on OnePlus 6: with smartphone off, press the Power + Volume Down key at the same time to enter Recovery mode.
- From Recovery, run Wipe data / Factory reset, press Power, select Yes and proceed (it will delete all your data, make sure you have backed up).
- With the volume keys select Reboot system and press the Power button to confirm.
- On reboot, you can enjoy Android P on OnePlus 6.