It is 2019 but there are some businesses and government agencies that still have old websites that don’t function correctly in new web browsers. Windows 10 still comes with Internet Explorer 11 and it has no shortage of security updates coming from Microsoft.
Now, we advise users to avoid Internet Explorer when they can as the browser is outdated and old. Modern web features aren’t included in the browser and are likely easier to attack than modern web browsers. As such, we recommend that users use this browser only when necessary which should be much for many users.
Even Microsoft encourages users to avoid Internet Explorer and use Microsoft Edge instead. According to Microsoft’s Chris Jackson, Internet Explorer is a “compatibility solution” and not a modern web browser you should use.
How to Open a Web Page in IE From Edge
You can easily open web pages in Internet Explorer from Microsoft Edge when necessary. To do so, follow the steps below.
- First off, click menu and then click on More Tools.
- Next, click Open with Internet Explorer.
This will launch Internet Explorer and take you to the webpage you were on in Microsoft Edge.
How to Launch Internet Explorer on Windows 10
You can also open Internet Explorer and use it normally without having to go to Edge. You can go to the Start menu to find IE.
- To open IE on Windows 10, click the Start button.
- Next, search for Internet Explorer and then press Enter or click the Internet Explorer shortcut.
- You can also pin Internet Explorer to your taskbar to make it easier to access or turn it into a tile on your Start menu, or create a desktop shortcut to it.
If you can’t find IE in your Start Menu, it may be because it has been removed. IE is installed by default in Windows 10 but you can remove it if you want.
- Go to Control Panel.
- Next, click Programs and then click Turn Windows Features on or off.
- Now, you need to make sure “Internet Explorer 11” is checked in the list of features here and when you’re done, click “OK.”
How to Automatically Open Specific Websites in Internet Explorer
For system administrators, there is an “Enterprise Mode” feature available in Windows 10. This allows administrators to add a list of websites to the Enterprise Mode list. Now, when a user visits a website that has been placed on the list in Edge, it will automatically be opened in IE 11.
With this feature, users can use the Microsoft Edge browser normally. Instead of having to manually open Internet Explorer, Microsoft Edge will automatically launch Internet Explorer when they navigate to a website that requires IE.
This option is part of the Windows Group Policy. To find the “Configure the Enterprise Mode Site List” option, simply go to Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Microsoft Edge\.