You can rotate any video saved on your iPhone or iPad with a simple two-finger gesture while editing. You need to install video rotator called iMovie from the App Store, although this is a free app from Apple. Rotating a video can eliminate the black bars that are seen when recording a video without rotating the phone in landscape orientation, although the resulting video may appear sideways.
Have you ever recorded a video with your iPhone, only to have it come out vertically when you wanted it to be horizontal? Or maybe it’s the other way around. Either way, it can be difficult to watch a video in the wrong orientation. Here’s how to shoot videos on your iPhone so you can watch it right.
Just like photos, videos can be in portrait or landscape orientation. If your video is in the wrong orientation on your iPhone, it can be difficult to watch. Here’s how to rotate a video on your iPhone using the Photos and iMovie app. You can also rotate the video on your Mac with the QuickTime app.
How to rotate iPhone videos with iOS 13
Shooting videos on iPhone with iOS 13 is simple because you can just use the Photos app. That’s how:
- Open the Photos app on your iPhone. This is a pre-installed app on your iPhone.
- Then select the video you want to rotate. You can find your video in Photos> All Photos.
- Then tap Edit. You will find it in the top right corner when you tap on the video.
- Tap the Crop icon. This is the square icon at the bottom of the screen with two arrows surrounding it and pointing counterclockwise.
- Then tap the rotate button in the top left corner of the screen. This is the button that has a square with an arrow around it pointing clockwise. If you need to rotate the other way, just tap the button two more times.
- Finally, tap Done.
How to shoot iPhone video with iMovie
- Open iMovie on your iPhone. If you don’t have the app yet, you can download it for free from the Apple App Store here.
- Then tap Projects. You will see it at the top of the screen.
- Then, tap Create Project.
- Then select Movies.
- Choose the video you want to edit from the camera roll. A blue check mark will appear in the lower right corner of the video.
- Then tap Create Movie. You will see it at the bottom of the screen. A new project page will open and this will include your clip in a viewer at the top. You will also see a timeline below the viewer.
- Tap the timeline clip. The outside of the timeline clip should turn yellow.
- Use two fingers to rotate the video in the direction you want to rotate it. You can use your thumb and index finger, then rotate them left or right on the screen as if you were turning an imaginary knob. Do this until you have rotated the frame to the desired orientation.
- Then tap Done. You will see it in the upper left corner of the screen. You will see the video clip in the center of the screen without the timeline and with My Movie below.
- Tap the share icon at the bottom of the screen. This is the icon with a square and an arrow pointing up. This will export the video file back to your camera roll, allowing you to share it on social media or other apps.
- Finally, click Save video or send it to one of the available options.
How to flip a video on Mac with QuickTime
If you have shot a video with your iPhone and want to flip video on your Mac, you can do so using a video shooting program called QuickTime Player. There is no need to download this app as it comes pre-installed on all Macs.
- Send the video to your Mac.
- Open the QuickTime Player app. You can find it in the Applications folder.
- Open the video in QuickTime. If your video doesn’t open in QuickTime by default, right-click the video, select Open With, then choose QuickTime.
- Then click View. You’ll see it in Apple’s menu bar at the top of the screen. You will only see this option if you first select the QuickTime app.
- Then, select Show clips.
- Select the video. Once selected, the video will be outlined in yellow.
- Go to the Edit menu. This will be in your Apple menu.
- Then choose Rotate Left or Rotate Right.
- Finally, click Done and save the new video to your Mac.
If you’re looking for more ways to edit photos and videos, check out our list of the best photo editing apps for iPhone and Android here.