Although streaming services like Spotify and Tidal are conquering the market, many music lovers prefer to download and save their music on their hard drive. Despite its flaws and the fact that Apple is moving away from the venerable service, Apple’s iTunes is still one of the most popular ways to do it, but it’s not easy to sync your iTunes library with an Android device.
There is no iTunes for Android, so you will need to take a few steps to get everything working. There are several ways to transfer your music from iTunes to any Android phone or tablet
How to transfer songs from iTunes to Android
1. Copy your music files manually
The least technically demanding way to transfer iTunes music files to your Android device is to copy them manually. All you need is a USB cable to connect the phone to the computer and be patient.
How to manually copy iTunes music to Android
- Create a new folder on the desktop.
- Copy the music files to be transferred to the new folder.
- Connect your Android device to your computer with a USB cable. You may need to adjust your phone settings to transfer files via USB (the option should appear in the notifications).
- Go to the memory of your Android device on your computer and copy-paste or drag and drop the music folder.
2. Synchronize iTunes with Google Play Music
The cloud has revolutionized the way people interact with their files and music is no different. Now, with Google Play Music, you can sync your entire iTunes library to the cloud and listen to it wherever you go. It is by far the easiest way to sync a large number of files from iTunes to Android.
There are, however, a couple of important caveats. First of all, you will need an Internet connection, at least for the initial settings. Since Google Play Music is essentially a music streaming / cloud storage service, you will practically always use your data unless you block all your albums. Pinning simply downloads the music to the phone’s memory. There’s also a limit of 50,000 songs, but this probably won’t be a problem unless you have a really huge library.
How to transfer songs from iTunes to Android via Google Play Music
- Download Google Play Music Manager on your PC.
- Install the program and run it.
- During setup, you’ll see an option to upload songs to Google Play.
- Select iTunes and finish the initial setup.
- Relax and let the program upload all your songs to Google Play Music.
3. iTunes streaming on Android via Apple Music
If you don’t want to completely abandon the Apple / iOS ecosystem, then Apple Music is a good way to access iTunes on Android. There is no iTunes app for Android, but there is an Android app for Apple Music
How to stream iTunes to Android with Apple Music
- Open iTunes on your PC and go to Preferences.
- On the General tab, enable iCloud Music Library and make click on OK. The option is disabled unless you have an Apple Music account.
- Download the Apple Music app on your Android device.
- Sign in with your Apple ID. Your music on iTunes should be available for streaming.
If you can’t find your music on iTunes, there are many ways to solve:
- Make sure you’re signed in to the same Apple ID on both devices.
- Update the app to the latest version on all devices.
- Update your iCloud library by going to File> Library> Update iCloud Music Library.
4. How to transfer songs from iTunes to Android via a third-party app
Several third-party programs allow you to directly transfer your iTunes music to Android. One of our favorites seems to be the doubleTwist app for Windows. This application allows you to transfer playlists, music, and videos from iTunes to your Android phone.
When synchronizing files using doubleTwist, keep in mind that the copied music files will be stored in the Music folder in the internal memory of the phone or tablet.
How to sync iTunes with Android with doubleTwist
- Install and start doubleTwist on your computer.
- Connect your Android device to the computer. Make sure that USB mass storage mode (or MTP) is enabled.
- The device should be recognized automatically, which will activate a synchronization window.
- In the Music tab in doubleTwist, put a checkmark next to Sync music and select all the sections you want to be sent to the phone (playlists, albums, artists and genres).
- Tap the Sync Now button in the bottom right corner to start transferring your music to your Android phone.
That’s all for our guide to transfer songs from iTunes to Android!
Show us some love by Sharing! TechLector wants to hear from you, use the comment box below…