How to remove Bitdefender from any computer. Although Bitdefender is an excellent antivirus solution, if you want to switch to another antivirus or switch to a free solution, you need to know how to uninstall Bitdefender. Some have encountered problems due to the way Bitdefender software is structured, but follow these steps and you will uninstall Bitdefender in no time.
These instructions apply to computers running Windows 7, 8.1 and 10, as well as recent versions of macOS.
How to uninstall Bitdefender on Windows
Windows has a solid uninstaller and remains the best way to uninstall Bitdefender, whatever version is running.
It is incredibly important to have some form of antivirus on your operating system, whatever the operating system in use. After uninstalling Bitdefender, we recommend that you always install an Antivirus, even if it is a free version.
- Search for "Programs" in the Windows search bar, then select Add or Remove Programs in Windows 10 or select Programs and Features if you use Windows 7 or 8.1.
- Use the list or search bar to find and select Bitdefender Antivirus, then select Uninstall > Uninstall.
- Bitdefender may ask you if you want to go ahead with the uninstall process. Select Yes to confirm.
- The uninstallation process may take a few minutes depending on the system specifications. You must take the Bitdefender survey to let the developers know why you are uninstalling the software or why you are doing something else.
When the uninstall process is complete, select Finish.
How to uninstall Bitdefender Agent from Windows
However, if you want to remove any Bitdefender traces from your system, then it is a good idea to follow these steps to also remove the Bitdefender agent.
Do this if you plan to install another antivirus program to replace Bitdefender.
- Search for " Programs " in the Windows search bar, then select Add or Remove Programs in Windows 10 or select Programs and Features if you use Windows 7 or 8.1.
- Search for " Bitdefender " again, select Bitdefender Agent from the list, then select Uninstall > Uninstall.
- Wait for the uninstallation process to complete. After a few minutes, your Windows PC should be completely free of Bitdefender Antivirus.
How to uninstall Bitdefender on macOS
Uninstalling Bitdefender on macOS is no more complicated than on Windows, but it requires some different steps to complete the process. Follow these instructions to permanently remove the Bitdefender antivirus from your Mac.
- Open Finder, then select Go > Utilities. Alternatively, press CMD + U.
- Double-click or tap BitdefenderUninstaller to start the uninstallation process.
- When the pop-up menu appears asking you to confirm the selection, click Uninstall.
- If required, enter the administrator password.
- Wait for the uninstallation to complete.
How to completely remove Bitdefender on macOS
Although you can now technically consider removing Bitdefender as a complete antivirus, there are some elements that the uninstaller does not remove. If you want to get rid of everything that Bitefender originally installed, follow these steps.
- Open Macintosh HD, then click Library and look for the Bitdefender folder.
- Click and drag the folder to the Trash or right-click on the folder and click Move to Trash. If approval of the administrator password is required, enter it.
- The Bitdefender icon may remain in the Dock. In that case, right-click (or touch and hold) and click Options > Remove from the dock.
- Switch to Macintosh HD > Library > Application Support and look for the Antivirus for Mac folder. This is where the quarantined items are stored. If you are happy to remove those too, click and drag the entire folder to the Trash.
There are some programs to uninstall applications that can remove software like Bitdefender antivirus. Although they are not strictly necessary, they can speed up the process.
Can't uninstall Bitdefender? Use the Bitdefender uninstall tool
Some users have encountered problems uninstalling Bitdefender using the methods above. If you have problems uninstalling Bitdefender from your Windows or MAC computer, then the best solution is to use a Bitdefender uninstall tool. Here's how.
- Visit the Bitdefender Uninstall Tool web page and select the product you are trying to uninstall.
- Search for the Bitdefender product you want to uninstall, then select its green uninstall tool. When prompted, select Download the uninstaller directly.
- A black window will appear asking you if you want to uninstall Bitdefender. Select Uninstall.
- You will then be shown a loading bar while the uninstall process is complete. When finished, select Restart to restart the system and finalize the process.