Before, updating watchOS on an Apple Watch required an iPhone via the Watch App. However, with the introduction of the new watchOS 6, Apple Watch users can now update the software of their Apple Watch directly without having to use an iPhone. Read on to learn more.
This way is much more convenient than the way it was. As of now, watchOS 6 is still in beta, and it is expected to be released to the public later this year probably during fall. So in this guide, I will show you how you can update the watchOS on your Apple Watch without having to use an iPhone.
How to Update WatchOS Software Directly on Apple Watch
Before you proceed with this guide, there are a few things you need to make sure are in place.
- Make sure that you have at least 50% of battery power on your Apple Watch before you proceed to update.
- Do not remove or restart your charger while the update and installation process is going on.
- Make sure your Apple Watch stays connected to Wi-Fi and that it doesn’t get stuck in between the update.
Once these things are in place, proceed to follow the steps below.
- First off, go to the settings app on your Apple Watch.
- Next, tap on the General option and then tap on Software Update. Your watch will begin to search for available updates.
- If the watchOS update is available, tap on the Download and Install option.
- After the update has finished downloading on your watch, tap on Install.
- Next, tap on Proceed.
That is all! Just as I mentioned before, make sure that you have at least 50% of battery power before you begin the installation process. This will prevent the installation process from stopping and causing an unnecessary fuss.
Also, in case something goes wrong and you want to downgrade the software, well, this isn’t going to be possible. Once you have installed watchOS 6, you will not be able to downgrade it by any means. The best possible solution is to visit the closest Apple Store and try your luck. They might or might not do it. I’m not sure!
Let us know in the comments below right away if you encounter any issues. Also, make sure to leave feedback in the comments.