TikTok is a social media platform on which you can create, remix, or share short videos. Because it is so popular with teenagers, parents obviously want to protect their children from inappropriate content. Fortunately, on TikTok, you can configure parental controls that can help you with this.
How to activate Parental Control on TikTok
Using Family Pairing, you can link your TikTok account with that of your child. This will prevent you from changing any settings yourself. After enabling Family Pairing, you can adjust the screen time, content, and communications on your child’s account.
- To enable Family Pairing, open TikTok on your phone and tap “Me” in the lower right corner. Touch the three-dot icon in the top right corner of the app to open the “Privacy and security” menu.
- In this menu, touch Digital Wellbeing> Family Pairing. TikTok will ask if a parent or teenager uses this account; tap “Parent”.
- You will see details on the tools at your disposal. Tap “Continue” to view a unique QR code.
- Then, open TikTok on your child’s phone and touch Me> Three-point icon> Digital well-being> Family pairing> Teenager.
- Your child’s phone will ask you to scan the QR code displayed on your phone. You may need to authorize TikTok to use the phone’s camera before you can scan the QR code.
- After scanning the QR code, tap “Link account” on your child’s phone. Confirm your choice and the accounts will be linked. On the phone, you can now tap on your child’s account to access and change their security settings.
- You can also activate all three parental controls individually on an account without Family Pairing (see below). However, Family Pairing is the only way to prevent your children from easily changing these settings.
Might read: How to add your music to a TikTok video
How to activate screen time management on TikTok
Establishing a strict time limit for the use of social media is a healthy habit for everyone to adopt. The Screen Time Management function forces TikTok to turn off after a certain period of use unless someone enters a four-digit passcode.
- To activate the screen time management function on TikTok, tap “Me” in the lower right corner. Then, tap the three-dot icon in the upper right corner to open the “Privacy and settings” menu.
- Scroll down to the “General” section, tap “Digital Wellness”, then select “Screen time management”.
- Here, you will see some details about this feature. Tap “Time limit”, then choose 40, 60, 90 or 120 minutes. Tap “Turn on screen time management” to save your settings.
- You will be asked to set a password. Confirm the code and TikTok will now request this passcode if you are using the app longer than the time limit you have chosen. A green banner appears briefly at the top of the screen, confirming the change.
How to activate the restricted mode on TikTok
You can use TikTok’s Restricted Mode to filter out any inappropriate content. This function in any app is always a work-in-progress. However, on TikTok, people can report the content that this filter or the whole platform should block.
- To activate TikTok’s Restricted Mode, select Me> Three-Point Icon> Digital Wellness, then select “Restricted Mode”.
- Tap “Activate restricted mode,” then type a four-digit passcode twice. Restricted mode remains active until you use the passcode to disable it again. A green banner appears briefly at the top of the screen, confirming your change.
You may be interested in: How to make your TikTok account private in 5 steps
How to disable direct messages on TikTok
As a parent or guardian, you can also limit or disable any direct messages (DMs) on your child’s account. In fact, starting from April 30, 2020, DMs will be disabled by default on accounts for those under the age of 16.
- To disable DMs, tap Me> Settings> Privacy and security> Who can send you direct messages. You can then select “None” to prevent anyone from sending DMs to this account. Alternatively, you can select “Friends” to limit the account to only receive DM from friends.
Again, if you don’t enable Family Pairing, the three parental control settings in TikTok are easy to disable.