The new macOS Catalina, which was released by Apple, comes with a new feature known as Sidecar. This feature allows you to use your iPad as a second display either to mirror your Mac’s screen or extend it. This will enable you to use markup, Apple pencil, and many other iPad friendly features with apps on your Mac.
Extending Mac’s screen isn’t really a new feature to Apple users as there are programs such as Luna, or Duet Display that helps Mac users do this. However, since this is a built-in feature macOS Catalina, hardware specs shouldn’t be a problem. Users can utilize the Sidecar features either wirelessly or by connecting your iPad and Mac with USB-C or Lightning cable.
There is no official statement by Apple concerning which devices are supported, but we have tested the feature on iPad Pro running iPadOS and MacBook Pro running macOS Catalina 10.15, and it works just great. However, Sidecar can be used on iMac 27″ (Late 2015) or newer, MacBook Pro (2016) or newer model, Mac Mini (2018), Mac Pro (2019), MacBook Air (2018), MacBook (Early 2016 or newer). Before you proceed to use Sidecar, ensure that you have iPadOS running on your iPad and macOS Catalina running on your Mac. Below are the steps to set it up!
How to Use iPad as a Second Display for Mac using Sidecar
- First off, place your iPad close to your Mac or connect it to your Mac via a cable.
- Note: However, if your iPad doesn’t show up in the AirPlay list, you can manually connect it by going to Settings. Select Sidecar and then Connect to. Next, select Devices and choose your iPad.
- Next up, select the AirPlay icon at the top right corner Menu bar on your Mac.
- Select your iPad Name to connect with.
- Now, you should see your Mac’s screen replicated on your iPad’s screen.
You can easily disconnect it by clicking the AirPlay icon and then Disconnect.
How to Customize Sidecar on macOS Catalina
To customize your Sidecar, follow the steps below.
- First off, click the AirPlay icon.
- Next, click on Open Sidecar Preferences. Below are some of the customization options you can use.
- Show Sidebar Position on Left or Right: This lets you adjust Sidebar tools to be positioned either on the left or right position on iPad, when in landscape mode.
- Double-Tap on Apple Pencil: This option helps you to enable or disable your Apple pencil if you want to use it or not.
- Show Touch bar on Top or Bottom: This allows you to adjust Touch Bar tools display position on iPad, when in landscape mode.
Below is the Official List of Apps that Supports Sidecar.
- Adobe Illustrator
- Affinity Designer
- Affinity Photo
- Cinema 4D
- DaVinci Resolve
- Final Cut Pro
- Substance Designer
- Substance Painter
So what do you think about this feature? Tell us what you think in the comments below.