Lost your Amazon Fire TV Stick remote control? Take control with this app for iOS and Android. The remote control included with Fire TV Stick and Fire TV devices works great and is small, so it doesn’t take up much space. Those compact dimensions make it easy to lose, and even if you have a Fire TV Cube or a Fire TV Stick connected to an Echo Dot, you still need the remote control to navigate in certain menus.
Whether you have lost your Fire TV Stick remote or just want an additional remote without having to buy one, the official Fire TV Stick remote app can control Fire TV Stick, Fire TV, and Fire TV Cube devices.
The Fire TV Stick remote app can also control other Fire TV devices, including Fire TV Cube and 4K Fire TV. You can download this single app and use it as a remote control for all your Fire TV devices.
Requirements for using the Fire TV Phone app
The Fire TV Stick remote app is available for both Android and iOS, but there are some phones that don’t work. Here are the basic requirements that the device must meet if you want to use the remote Fire TV Stick app:
- Tablet Fire: works on all 4th generation and later Fire tablets.
- Android: requires Android OS 4.0.3 or later.
- iOS: requires iOS 7.0 or later.
Some devices are compatible with the app, but only if you update the operating system.
How to download the Fire TV Phone app
The Fire TV Stick remote app is available directly from Amazon, Apple or Google, depending on the type of device in use.
Here’s where you can download the app:
- Android: Fire TV remote app on Google Play
- iOS: Fire TV remote app on the app store
- Kindle: Fire TV remote app on Amazon’s app store
How to configure the Fire TV Stick remote control app
After downloading and installing the remote Fire TV Stick app on your compatible phone or tablet, you’re ready to set it up with Fire TV. To do this, you will need both Fire TV and your phone.
Here’s how to configure the Fire TV Stick remote control app:
- Launch the remote Fire TV Stick app.
- Tap LOGIN.
- Enter the email and password for your Amazon account and tap Sign In.
- Select Fire TV Stick or any other Fire TV device you own. If you don’t see your device, make sure it’s connected and connected to the same network as your phone.
- Turn on the TV and switch to the input associated with Fire TV Stick or any Fire TV device you are trying to control.
- Look for the code number of the connection request for the remote Fire TV Stick app.
- Enter the code in the remote Fire TV Stick.
- Wait for the app to connect to Fire TV Stick or other Fire TV devices. At the end of the process, you will be ready to use the phone as a remote control.
How to use the remote Fire TV Stick app
The Fire TV Stick remote app mimics the same features you’re used to with the Fire TV Stick physical remote control. It all has the same buttons and they do the same things.
The only differences between the remote app and the physical remote are:
- The app has a touchpad in the middle instead of the circle button.
- The app has an integrated keyboard.
- The app includes a list of links that allows you to launch any of your apps whenever you want.
Here is how to use the phone as a remote control with Amazon Fire TV Stick:
- Touch anywhere in the touchpad area to select the currently highlighted item on Fire TV.
- With your finger pressed in the touchpad area, move your finger left, right, up or down to scroll in that direction.
- To move the selection without scrolling, scroll from the center of the touchpad in the direction you want to move.
- Touch the keyboard icon in the upper left corner to access the keyboard. Voice commands are only available in some countries. If you live in an area where Amazon does not allow voice checks, downloading this app will not enable voice checks.
- Touch and hold the microphone, then say what you are looking for or say the name of an app you want to open on Fire TV.
- Tap the Apps and Games icon, located between the microphone and keyboard icons, to launch the Apps and Games shortcut menu. Tap any app or game in this list to start it immediately on Fire TV Stick or other Fire TV devices.
- The return, home, menu, reverse, play/pause and fast forward buttons all work exactly the same way they work on the physical remote.