Sony PlayStation 4 has its official controller which is perfectly designed to reproduce the greatest hits of video game consoles. However, as PlayStation evolves and more and more functions are added (streaming, Internet browsing, etc.), the controller becomes a less convenient device for browsing with the console. This article explains how to use other devices instead of the controller to easily navigate to PS4.
USE PS4 WITH KEYBOARD AND MOUSE
PlayStation lets you play with third-party keyboards and mice. They can be Bluetooth or USB and you can install them instead of your regular controllers.
HOW TO CONNECT A KEYBOARD OR A USB MOUSE TO PS4
To connect a USB keyboard or mouse to the PS4, you need to do the following:
- Connect your device to an empty USB socket on the PS4.
- The console should recognize the device and ask the user for the account that uses it.
- Select the PS4 profile you want to associate with the device.
HOW TO CONNECT A KEYBOARD OR A BLUETOOTH MOUSE TO PS4
Setting up a Bluetooth keyboard is slightly different from USB. Here’s what you need to do:
- From the PS4 main screen, press the ‘Up’ button on the D-pad.
- Go to the settings. ‘
- Find “Devices”.
- Enter “Bluetooth Devices”.
- Wait for the system to search for nearby Bluetooth devices.
- Associate the devices normally by following the default pairing procedure of the Bluetooth device. Sometimes you will need to enter a passkey (if the device is locked). If you are not sure how to pair the devices, the best way is to check the instruction manual.
- The PS4 will recognize a new device and ask you for the profile that uses it.
- Choose the profile you want to connect to the device.
CHANGE THE KEYBOARD SETTINGS
Once the keyboard is configured, you will be able to change device settings via the PS4 system.
- Go to the settings. ‘
- Select “Devices”.
- Choose your keyboard.
From here, you can change the delay and frequency of key repetition, as well as the type and language of the keyboard.
USE A PS4 WITH A SMARTPHONE
Sony has officially launched a PlayStation app (iOS and Android) that lets you use your smartphone or tablet to remotely control your PS4. You can use them as a keyboard, as a controller or even as a remote control.
The smartphone controller function is not yet available in many games but can be useful in certain situations.
1) DOWNLOAD THE APP
Before starting to connect the two devices, you need to download the app from the App Store. The app is available on PlayStore and App Store. Recently, the app also works very well on iPads and tablets.
Once you download the app, install it on your device and open it. When asked to access your login information, you must enter the same PlayStation Network username and password you have on PS4. Otherwise, the controller will not work.
2) CONNECT THE DEVICES
Connect your PS4 using the “Second screen” function. To do this, you need to follow these steps:
- Open the PS4 app.
- Tap the “Connect to PS4” icon after entering your PS4 credentials.
- Select the “Second screen” option. If the devices are on the same Wi-Fi network, the smartphone should easily locate the PS4. If you can’t find the PS4, make sure they are on the same network.
- Tap to connect devices.
Next, you’ll need to enter a unique code to register your device on PS4:
- Go to the “Settings” menu on your PS4.
- Find the “PlayStation app connection settings” menu.
- Select “Add Device Menu” on your PS4.
- A code should appear on this screen.
- Copy the code into your phone’s app and you have officially registered the device.
The “PlayStation app connection settings” screen will show all devices connected to your PlayStation and from this menu, you can disconnect them in the future.
3) START USING THE SMARTPHONE
After the devices have been connected, the only thing left is to use it as a remote control. To do this, follow these steps:
- Go to the PS4 app on your smartphone.
- Tap “Connect to PS4”.
- Select “Second screen”.
- Tap the “Second Screen” button below your PS4.
- The remote control along with four icons will appear at the top of the screen.
The first icon allows you to use the remote control in the game, but only if the game is compatible with the function. The second lets you use your smartphone as a remote control to browse the PS4 menu. The third is a typing keyboard that allows you to type on the console and the fourth icon allows you to see the comments of the spectators during the streaming.
After completing all these steps, your phone should automatically connect to the PS4 every time you turn on the app. Keep in mind that you won’t be able to play many games with your phone, but more games become compatible with the app every day.
Even if you don’t use the controller, you can have the same experience using keyboards, mice and even the phone. Obviously you won’t be able to have fun with many games, but these devices are generally more convenient for off-game activities. You can easily send a text message, surf the web and even stream a movie with just a few clicks or taps instead of trying to do everything with a controller.
What would you use instead of the PS4 controller? Do you know a PS4 compatible keyboard and mouse? Leave a comment and let us know.