When it comes to TV, Apple and Amazon Prime show you what you want. With tens of millions of Amazon Prime users in the United States and successful shows like Vikings, Mr. Robot and Veep to have fun, many Apple TV owners are eager to access Amazon’s Prime Video services using their favorite device.
Amazon has made the Prime Video apps available not only for iPhone and iPad but also for Apple TV, making it easier to watch Amazon content on your TV with Apple TV. You need to install the Amazon Prime Video app, directly on Apple TV or on your iOS device.
Amazon Prime videos are only accessible if you have an Amazon Prime subscription. While Amazon users can enjoy some free shows without a subscription, much of what you find on the Prime Video app requires a paid subscription.
You must have a third-generation or later Apple TV device. Anything older than that, even if you have a valid Amazon Prime account, do not support Prime Video.
How to download the Amazon Prime Video app on Apple TV
The easiest way to watch Amazon Prime videos on Apple TV is to download the app directly to Apple TV.
- Turn on your Apple TV and go to the main menu. Select the App Store icon on the screen.
- Search Amazon Prime Video in the tvOS App Store. If you don’t see it, select Search at the top of the screen or press the microphone on the remote control to start a voice search.
- Click the Amazon Prime Video icon when you find it to open an information screen.
- Choose Install.
By doing this you have installed the Prime Video app on your Apple TV. Click the icon whenever you want to find something to watch.
DONT MISS: How to connect your iPhone to a Samsung TV
How to watch Prime Video on iPhone and iPad
If you prefer to use an iOS app to watch Amazon Prime videos, you can get the app on your iPhone or iPad. After installing the app, you can use it to stream Amazon Prime videos to Apple TV, as well as browse, watch and rent your catalog through the available catalog.
- Tap the App Store icon on your iPhone or iPad and download Amazon Prime Video.
- Open the Amazon Prime Video app and sign in with your Amazon Prime account and password. You can immediately access Prime Video content on your iPhone or iPad.
When you want to play your movies on Apple TV instead of on your iOS device, use the AirPlay feature on your iPhone or iPad to direct videos to Apple TV.
- Make sure your iOS device is on the same Wi-Fi network as Apple TV.
- Launch the Prime Video app and log in to your account on your mobile device.
- Choose the movie you want to watch and press Play on the app.
- Tap the video you are playing once and you will see the AirPlay icon in the upper right corner. Scroll up from the bottom of the iPad screen in previous versions of iOS (or down from the top right corner in iOS 11 and later) to view the Control Center, where you can also find control AirPlay.
- Touch the AirPlay button, which resembles an upward-facing triangle with a rectangle that looks like a TV. If you don’t see the AirPlay button, enable it first and then try again. The steps to activate AirPlay are similar for iPhone and iPad.
- Choose the Apple TV on which you want to broadcast the movie (if you have more than one) and touch its name in the dialog box.
The film or TV program Amazon Prime should now be played on Apple TV.
How to watch Prime Video on Mac
You can also stream Amazon Prime Video from your Mac to your Apple TV as long as it is running macOS 10.11 or later.
- From your web browser, select the movie or TV show you want to watch from the Amazon website.
- When the movie starts, tap the AirPlay button in the upper right corner of the Mac menu bar (to the left of the volume icon) and select the Apple TV on which you want to broadcast the content.
- Your Mac’s desktop appears on the TV screen. Touch the full-screen button in the video so that the whole image appears on Apple TV.