If you battle data restrictions all the time, then undoubtedly you must’ve received the feared SMS notification, informing you that you have gone past your plan limit and you got charged an extra $15 or more for added 1GB data. This is usually experienced on smartphones and takes place with some Internet Service Providers as well.
Our data usage habits are mostly at fault here — since Netflix is known to bite into lots of data during the viewing of one TV series or movie to another. So if you are bothered about your data consumption, you might be planning on reducing what you watch tremendously, but even that is not the solution. Read on and we’ll teach you how you can cut down your Netflix data usage without altering your media habits in any major way.
So if you do not like the idea of not watching as much as you used to, but you really want your data usage cut down, offline viewing is a massive option to consider. Netflix does not have a means of downloading content offline, but, if you have an active Netflix subscription and the newest version of the app, it is possible to download content offline.
This is an effective way to minimize data since you can make use of home wireless connection to have your desired content downloaded, you can simply play the content offline when you are prepared for it. As you play offline, no data is being used, your mobile device can even be used to play it while in Airplane Mode.
Downloading content from Netflix is very much straightforward. Do not forget that not all films and TV series can be downloaded offline, so it is reliant on what you intend to download to be used later. Still, the process is very much simple. Launch the Netflix app on your phone or tab, select TV series or movie that you wish to download.
Click on the movie and scroll down to where the list of available episodes will be visible. You will notice a Download icon close to every episode. Click on the episodes you wish to download, and when it is completed, they will be seen in the My Downloads section of the app.
Change Your Mobile Data Usage
You can minimize data consumption by making adjustments to your mobile data usage options within the Netflix app. This makes adjustments to the streaming and audio quality, aiding you to begin to minimize your data usage.
When you are on your mobile device or a cellular tab, there are four options to select from.
- Automatic This particular option is chosen by default, it is where Netflix automatically finds a common ground between video quality and mobile data minimization. This explains that you are able to watch four hours of content for 1GB of usage.
- Wi-Fi Only By choosing this option, playing any other content except offline content will be impossible unless you are connected to a wireless network.
- Data Saver The most effective option for minimizing the use of data with Netflix. Choose this option and you can view around 6 hours of content for 1GB of data usage. Do not forget that you might experience worse audio or video quality with the Data Saver option.
- Unlimited The three options above will aid you to minimize your data consumption but this option will not save any data. In fact, if you choose this option, you are letting your data lose. Netflix will be free to use any amount of data it wants. It could get as bad as 1GB of data for less than 30 minutes of watching, depending on your hardware support and network speeds.
If you are attempting to save data, stay away from the Unlimited option. Automatic or Data Saver is fantastic to keep Netflix in check while you stream. Making adjustments to these settings is simple:
- After launching Netflix on your tab or phone, select the menu icon. Depending on your device, it can appear like either three-line hamburger menu at the top-left corner of the screen or the vertical three-dot menu on the top right of your screen.
- Access App Settings.
- After that, select Cellular Data Usage. Do not forget that the menu will only be shown if you are on a device that supports cellular data usage. It will not be visible for a Wi-Fi only tablet.
- Lastly, just choose the settings you prefer, whether it is Automatic, Wi-Fi Only, Data Saver, or Unlimited and save.
And congrats, you just started minimizing your Netflix data as you stream.
Some wireless connections might not offer you unlimited data, and that’s mostly the case as regards DSL packages or satellite Internet packages. Having said that, you might be thinking about how you can save data on Netflix while you chill at home. Fortunately, Netflix has a solution.
Minimizing data is pretty simple to achieve. Lower Quality will also mean reduced data consumption. And that is precisely what can be done to minimize Netflix data while at home. There are three different quality options that you can select from:
- Low Quality — Will use up around 0.3 GB every 60 minutes of content viewed.
- Medium Quality — Will use up around 0.7 GB every 60 minutes of content viewed.
- High Quality — Will use up around 3GB every 60 minutes watched in HD. If you possess a 4K/Ultra HD supported device, expect it to scale the content up to that, and use up around 7GB every 60 minutes of content viewed.
As you must’ve noticed, High Quality will not minimize any data here, but, if you choose High Quality, switching to Medium or Low Quality can minimize your data usage rapidly. In most instances, by default, quality settings will be Medium Quality, so it will not the same amount of minimization as switching from Medium Quality to Low Quality, but will still minimize a good amount in the long run.
To change your quality, do this:
- Go to www.Netflix.com and get yourself logged in with your account credentials.
- As soon as you are in, select the profile you plan to alter the video quality settings for. Do not forget that since it is set for an individual profile, you’ll have to alter them for individual profiles that you want to minimize data on.
- As soon as you select your profile, head to Account and then tap on the Playback Settings link.
- After that, simply select the video quality that appeals to you the most, ensure you consider your data plan, and then have your alterations saved.
- Do it again and again for concerned profiles on your account.
And you are done.