How To Install Android 8.0 Oreo on OnePlus 5 (Gapps and Oreo ROM)
Some time ago, smartphone maker OnePlus revealed the Oreo open beta program for the OnePlus 3 and 3T. However, the company failed to announce any program of such for their flagship device, the OnePlus 5. Sometime later, news surfaced that the smartphone maker was actually busy testing the Android 8.0 (Oreo) build for the smartphone and it was using a closed beta program which its fans could not access.
OnePlus 5 users were left without no Android 8.0 (Oreo) update and there wasn’t even any sign of one coming up at all. Well, things have taken a little turn as the first Android 8.0 Oreo build for the OnePlus 5 has been leaked online by a user. The ROM used for the Android 8.0 update comes from the lost beta program. This build was meant to be the first build for the OnePlus 5.
According to the user who leaked it online, the build is the first created by the company for the OnePlus 5. However, it is not stable according to the user and since it is a beta ROM, t is expected to have a few or even many bugs. So, if you wish to try out this ROM update on your OnePlus 5, please note that the device is not stable and you should not use this ROM as a daily driver on your device.
How To Flash Android 8.0 Oreo Custom ROM on OnePlus 5
Before we proceed with this guide, it is important that you note that this ROM update is not a stable one. Make sure that you make a full backup of all your files and data. This should be done just in case something goes wrong during the process. Also, reverting your device to Nougat after you have started installing Oreo is easy just as long as you have a backup. Without it, you might end up losing your installed apps, files and data.
We also recommend that you perform a clean flash of your ROM. This means that you should perform a factory reset before you proceed with updating your device.
- Oreo beta build for OnePlus 5 | Download Here
- Oreo beta build for OnePlus 5 (Mirror Download)
Now that is settled, let’s proceed to how to install Android 8.0 (Oreo) ROM on the OnePlus 5.
- First of all, download the ROM and Oreo Gapps (Google Apps).
Download the package that you want for your phone, and then install it. Here’s how to do it.
How to Install Oreo Gapps
- Move the Gapps package and the Oreo ROM to your phone.
- Turn off the phone, and go to recovery mode. You need to have a custom recovery installed if you don’t already have one.
- Flash the Oreo ROM if you haven’t already.
- Flash the Gapps package.
Restart your phone. You will notice some of the Google applications, such as YouTube, Play Store, Google Framework and more.
- Next up, turn off your OnePlus 5 and then boot it into recovery mode. You are nee to have installed a custom recovery such as TWRP on your device first.
- Now that your phone is in recovery mode (TWRP) perform a full Android backup on your device. This will be very helpful just in case something goes wrong while you are going through the installing process.
- Next, wipe the data on your OnePlus 5 and factory reset the device.
- Now, select “install” and then select the Oreo build.
- Swipe the Oreo build to flash it.
- When it is done flashing, flash the Google apps for the Oreo package too.
- Finally, reboot your OnePlus 5 and wait for it to finish booting. Since this is the first time you are booting the Android 8.0 (Oreo) on your device, it might take some time for it to finish booting up.
So, what do you think of the new Android 8.0 (Oreo) build on the OnePlus 5? Share your views in the comments section below.
Also, post whatever questions you have in the comments section below. Thank you!