There so many reasons why you might want to install stock firmware on Samsung Galaxy S9 or S9+. It may be because you want to unroot your phone and get back the factory settings. Or you would like to get OTA updates from your Manufacturer or Carrier Network. Or maybe you Installed a custom ROM and you ended up not liking it and you would like to revert to the stock firmware.
Installing stock firmware is also known to fix Samsung phones stock at boot, showing just the Samsung logo. Whichever might the case, you can easily install stock firmware on Samsung Galaxy S9 or S9+ using Odin or Smart Switch to fix all of the problems I just listed and maybe more?
How to Install Stock Firmware on Samsung Galaxy S9 or S9+ using ODIN or Smart Switch
There are two methods one can use to install stock firmware on Samsung Galaxy S9 or S9+ which are Odin and Smart Switch. Using Odin is somewhat difficult so if you would like the easier one, just skip to the second method.
Method 1: Using Odin
Odin is the official tool for Samsung phones that are used to flash/Install files, recoveries and most importantly, firmware updates. The following tools are needed in order to use Odin.
- Windows PC
- Samsung Drivers which can be Downloaded Here.
- Odin Tool which can be Downloaded Here.
- Official Stock ROM your Samsung Galaxy S9 or S9+( Go to Sammobile Website, Input your phone model number and look for the latest stock firmware (which should be Android 8.0 Oreo) and Download.
Note: If your phone is Carrier/Country Locked, Make sure you Download the exact same Carrier/Country firmware that your phone already has. However, if your phone isn’t Locked to a carrier network then Download the unbranded Firmware for your phone.
- Make sure your phone battery level is above 60% before we begin.
- Make sure KIES is turned off and not running in the background while using Odin.
- BackUp all your data. (Important)
- Turn On USB Debugging Mode.
How To Install The Firmware Using Odin
- Download and Install the Samsung Drivers on your PC.
- Download and Install the Odin Tool on your PC.
- Turn Off your Samsung Galaxy S9 or S9 Plus and then Connect it to your PC via a USB Cable.
- Press and Hold the Bixby Button, Volume Down Button and Power Button Simultaneously to put in Download Mode. Let go of the buttons when you see a warning on the screen.
- Press the Volume Up Button to Fully Enter the Download Mode.
- Now Open Odin On your PC.
- The ID:COM Should change its colour to Blue if it recognizes your device. (If it doesn’t then you will need to Start the whole process again and probably Download/Update your drivers or even try out another USB Cable)
Once Connected, Click on PDA or AP depending on the version of Odin you downloaded.
Now Select the .tar or .tar.md5 file you Extracted from the firmware you Downloaded. (If the firmware you Downloaded has more than one file, Select the files in its correspond tab. E.g Click on AP/PDA and Select the file that starts with AP, Click on BL and Select the file that starts with BL and so on)
- Check/Mark Only Auto Reboot and F.Reset Time and then Press Start.
You’ve just successfully installed a firmware on Samsung Galaxy S9 or S9 Plus. If the flashing process didn’t go through then you might want to try out a new version of Odin.
Method 2: Using the Smart Switch
The Smart Switch was created for newer versions of the Samsung devices in order to ease flashing or firmware recoveries and also to backup your phone easily. The software only works with a handful of Samsung devices including Samsung Galaxy S7, S8, S8+, S9, S9+ and Note 8.
- Download and Install the Samsung Smart Switch on your PC.
Once Connected the Smart Switch should recognize your device.
Select Software Update and Initialisation.
Samsung Smart Switch will automatically Find and Install the appropriate Stock Firmware for your phone. All you have to do is just follow the on-screen instructions.
After flashing the right firmware for your phone, your phone should Reboot.
That’s how to Install Stock Firmware on Samsung Galaxy S9 or S9+ using ODIN or Smart Switch. If you do not understand any process above or would like me to clarify anything about this guide, please leave a comment down below.