LG seems to have given up after a short break in the smartphone business but again completely, which suggests in any case, the now published roadmap for Android 9.0 Pie. Accordingly, only the LG G7 is equipped with the new software, for the other top devices, there are small bug fixes. The roadmap on the Korean website for the first quarter of 2019 is clear: Only the G7 is “Pie OS upgraded planned”, and even that sounds a bit shaky. After all, the G6 from 2017 and the LG V40 from this year will be supplied with a performance update.
Changelog for LG G6 and LG V40
G6 Performance Update
- Improve voice call quality
- Improved Talkback voice prompts to improve accessibility
- Improvement of the phenomenon that the fingerprint input screen is temporarily invisible when paying LG pay.
V40 ThinQ Performance Update
- PentaShot feature on the camera
- Parking assistant function and subway notification function in the context-aware setting
- Alarm / Clock app with alarm on function on holidays
LG G6: price dropped extremely
The LG G6 is currently listed for just € 264 on Amazon. Given a non-binding price of around 750 euros, this is a massive price decline and is out of all proportion to the competition. So far, the only LG phone with Android Pie is the G7 One, which renounces the manufacturer’s surface and instead relies on Google’s original Android. That this pays off in faster updates, is clear here.
While the South Koreans have made good intentions for the first quarter and at least “plan” the G7 pie update, we expect the next major version with Android Q at the end of the spring.