The calculation and reminder capabilities of Android smartphones or tablets, imposing themselves as digital assistants to support our daily activities, can be exploited not only for hobbies and productivity but especially regarding health and prevention to monitor blood sugar and diabetes. We have already looked at apps to measure heart rates here.
Regardless of the type of diabetic pathology from which you are affected – between the macro categories of management, type 1 and type 2 mellitus, the insipid or the LADA form– there are a number of tools to coordinate the monitoring of daily glycemic parameters.
To make this fundamental process, you need to know the best Android apps to monitor blood sugar and diabetes by relying on different tools from each other but developed by professionals aware of the real need for daily follow-up.
How to monitor your blood sugar on Android, the best apps:
In this article we talk about:
One of the applications to be considered to monitor glycemia and diabetes on Android is certainly Diabetes: M, a highly specialized tool and rich in specific control options to get the most during drug treatment through a simple interface, rich in content and intuitive even for the less experienced with clinical knowledge.
The interface offers the main screen from which to quickly monitor the blood sugar – based on the latest update – and the type of insulin used through the different hormone variants listed according to the trade name. Among the features present to monitor the glycemia on Android stand out also a service of hiring reminder, diagrams, and data to be exported for the quarterly follow-up useful for integration into your medical record.
Designed for both smartphones and tablets, this application will help you manage your diabetes better and keep it under control. Whether you are Type 1 or Type 2, have Gestational Diabetes or just want to help and monitor a family member, this is the logbook app for you.
The application tracks almost all aspects of the diabetes treatment and provides you and with detailed reports, charts, and statistics. You can send the reports to your supervising physician via email. Diabetes: M also gives you various tools, so you can find the trends in blood glucose levels and allows you to calculate normal and prolonged insulin boluses using its highly effective, top-notch bolus calculator.
It also has a vast nutrition database, to help you keep track of your food intake and nutrition information, as well as exercise time. Never forget another check with our simple but powerful reminders system.
mySugr: the blood sugar tracker
A more user-friendly solution, less articulated but equipped exclusively with the essential for the diabetic patient, is definitely MySugr divided into a standard version for the adult and a version for the pediatric and/or adolescent age, personalizing the monitoring experience with a sober and colorful style.
The app boasts a mechanism of “Settings” where you can note the basic therapeutic elements – such as the units for dosage and intake of carbohydrates, without forgetting the hormonal intake device – intensifying the quality and efficiency in monitoring diabetes on Android through a system of challenges that educates and stimulates therapeutic adherence and the timing of physical activity.
- Easy and personalized logging screen (diet, meds, carb intake, meals, blood glucose levels and more) with clear blood sugar level graphs;
- Estimated HbA1c at a glance, no more surprises;
- Motivating challenges and feedback to help cope with Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes;
- Daily, weekly and monthly medical analysis;
- Detailed reports to bring (or send) to your doctor;
- Secure data backup and registered medical device (built with regulatory compliance, quality, and safety).
My Glycemia: Diabetes tracker
Essentiality and practicality of use are the keys to reading My Glycemia: Diabetes tracker, today one of the app to monitor blood sugar and diabetes simpler available on Android and no less qualitative and/or recommended for all patients and ages thanks to optimal visual feedback than any other alternative.
The start immediately leads to a generic screen where you can set timers for post-prandial recruitment – despite the parameter boasts more options in the “Settings” area – simplifying the insulin injection reminders or hypoglycemic agents, all combining 2 particularly useful functions such as the creation of tables and graphs for therapeutic follow-up and the selection of a rapid contact in case of emergencies for acute complications linked to the pathology (such as hypoglycemic crisis).
Details of all the features:
- Alarm to prevent hypoglycemia (adjustable between 3 and 4 hours)
- Alarm to remind you to measure your glycemia 2 hours after your meal
- Record details of your medical contacts: general practitioner, diabetologist
- Emergency call function to alert your contacts in case of emergency
- Display your measurements in table form and graph charts
- Multi-Display time: by week, by month, by all dates
- Send your measurement charts via email to your doctor
- Records rates before and after meals for three meals of the day, as well as bedtime
- Records “unexpected” controls
- Simplified recording with the help of automatic time slot insertion along with the time of day
- Supports multiple units: g/l, mg/dl, mmol/l
- Manage aceton and glycated hemoglobin
- Manage fast and slow insulin
Features added to the Premium version:
- Analysis of glycated hemoglobin HbA1c
- Adjust thresholds for hypoglycemia and hyperglycemia
- Export data to Excel format
- Home screen customization
- Additional values and graphics
- Additional features and settings
Monitoring the blood glucose and diabetes on Android in a complete and detailed, albeit at the expense of initial intuitiveness, is one of the prerogatives behind the development of OnTrack Diabetes with multiple features for those interested in obtaining a 360 ° evaluation window.
The graphics style is minimal and well structured, which supports the multiple “Reports” in which you can keep track of the diet, blood glucose levels, weight with body fat mass index – especially important especially in type 2 diabetes not insulin-depend – in addition to injections, blood pressure, beating and even glycated hemoglobin values . Every single piece of data can be intertwined in accurate graphs to have a rich and exhaustive panorama of one’s own health and even on daily activities.
OnTrack Diabetes Features include:
- Quickly and easily track blood glucose, hemoglobin A1c, food, weight and many others
- Ability to add/edit categories to suit your needs
- Generate detailed graphs and reports to share with your physician
- Supports both US and International units for glucose and hemoglobin A1c
- Easily keep track of your daily, weekly and monthly average glucose levels
Calorie Counter – MyFitnessPal
Not born definitely to monitor blood glucose and much less for the purposes of diabetic follow up, MyFitness Pal is instead a perfect coordination tool to associate with the above app to keep track of your diet regulating calories and physical activity.
The functions are integrated to make this app a coach, for physical timing and control of the intensity of the sessions, a highly specialized nutritionist, helping you to set weight goals and monitoring of assimilated nutrients, as well as a perfect health educator setting goals to be achieved coordinating these purposes with their own pathological framework to keep the calories burned and those assimilated under control.
The titles proposed below represent the best Android apps to monitor glycemia and diabetes on Android, facilitating management and daily cohabitation with a pathology that inevitably changes the priorities and daily activities of affected individuals regardless of the type of diabetes.
In our opinion, among all, definitely stand out Diabetes: M, for those who want a complete and accurate control, and My Blood Sugar, for those who are aiming at simple reminders without too many complications ( especially in old age ), though coordinating possibly with MyFitness Pal it is particularly recommended to obtain a complete view of the food and physical status with respect to daily activities in order to perfectly regulate the therapy on the basis of one’s own and really needs, favoring therapeutic adherence.