Recently, Xiaomi dished out the new Android 8.0 Oreo update for the Xiaomi Mi A1. After that, a lot of users have reached out to us, asking us how they could root their Xiaomi Mi A1 without disabling OTA updates. Yes, it is possible and you can root Xiaomi Mi A1 AndroidOne on Android 8.0 Oreo by using Magisk Manager. If you use this rotting method, you will be able to install the OTA updates on your device without losing the data on your phone. As we know, rooting a device has both advantages and disadvantages.
Most methods used to root Android phones involve installing the Custom TWRP recovery, but after that, the phone will no longer receive any OTA updates. In this guide, we are going to share a new root guide for Xiaomi Mi A1 users, which they can use to root their device without disabling OTA updates.
This method can only be used by Xiaomi Mi A1 users who are running the latest version of Android 8.0 Oreo update on their device. Do not follow this guide if your device isn’t a Xiaomi Mi A1 running the latest version of Android 8.0 Oreo update. All you need to do is unlock the bootloader of your device and run some ADB commands to install the Magisk root application. The steps involved are pretty straightforward and all it will take you is about ten to fifteen minutes.
How to Root Xiaomi Mi A1 Running Android 8.0 Oreo Without Disabling OTA Updates
To begin, you need to unlock bootloader. Once you have unlocked bootloader on your device, download the files listed below on your PC and phone respectively.
Files to be downloaded
- Setup ADB and Fastboot on your PC from here. This will help you to run fastboot command from your Windows PC.
- Download the Magisk manager apk here and save the apk file on your phone.
- Download the patched_boot.img.zip here for January Security Patch here and extract the folder on your desktop.
- Download the patched_boot.img.zip here for December Security Patch here and extract the folder on your desktop.
Once that is done, follow the steps below to root your Ma A1 without disabling OTA updates.
- First off, you need to enable USB debugging and OEM unlock option on your device.
- First, enable Developer options and then go to About in Settings and tap on the Build Number 7 times.
- Go back to Settings and tap on “Developers Options.” Enable OEM Unlock and Enable USB Debugging.
- Now, open the ADB folder which was created while installing ADB and Fastboot drivers.
- Next, copy the patched_boot.img file in the ADB folder.
- mi a1 patched boot
- Next up, copy the Magisk manager apk file on the internal memory of your device.
- Now, go to the ADB folder where you patched_boot.img file saved. Press and hold the shift key and then right-click anywhere in the folder.
- Click “Open Command window here” in the menu.
- Now, you need to boot your phone into fastboot mode. To do this, you need to first turn off your phone and then press and hold the volume down and power button.
- Once your phone is in fastboot mode, connect it to your PC via USB.
- fastboot boot patched_boot.img
- Now, your device will reboot. next, open the file manager and install the Magisk manager apk file on your phone.
- Once the app is installed, open the Magisk manager app and tap on the Install button and install magisk installer using direct mode.
- magisk manager mi a1
- Once all the magisk files have been flashed, tap on Reboot.
- Your device will reboot.
You have successfully rooted your Xiaomi Mi A1 without disabling OTA updates.
You might want to check out these posts too:
- REVIEW: Xiaomi Mi A1, the android one of the moment
- List Of Smartphones To Receive Android 8.0 Oreo (Android “O”) Update