We are familiar with rugged smartphones from brands like Blackview, Panasonic and the Samsung Galaxy Active series, so when the news filtered in that Ulefone had launched the Ulefone Armor, its first rugged smartphone, I was quite surprised.
Ulefone is known for making beautiful budget, mid-range and high-end smartphones like the Ulefone Tiger, so branching into the rugged smartphone industry without having a proper flagship device seems like a big leap to me. That said, the Ulefone Armor packs some impressive specs and coupled with its small screen size, the phone should be an instant hit in the Chinese work industry.
Ulefone Armor Rugged Smartphone Specifications, Review and Highlights
The Ulefone Armor is on the petite side, featuring a 4.7-inch display which uses IPS panels and is protected by Corning Gorilla Glass 3. The display has a resolution of 1280* 720 (HD), and the phone weighs a massive 195 grammes.
The body of the Ulefone Armor is made with double-layer polycarbonate-TPU material which makes it durable in the face of great impact with hard surfaces / objects and helps it to withstand a temperature range of -20℃ – 80℃.
The Ulefone Armor also comes with a feature relevant to its target customers – an SOS button for which you can preset a particular contact on the phone, who will be dialled when you press and hold the SOS button for five seconds. A message with your current location data would also be sent to the contact while the call is being made.
The rugged Armor comes with 3GB RAM, 32GB ROM (expandable to 128GB with microSD), 13MP rear camera with Flash, 5MP front camera, Dual SIM slot with 4G LTE support, 1.3GHz octa-core MT6753 processor and packs a 3500mAh battery.
The Armor has an IP68 certification which means it’s resistant to both water and dust, something that shouldn’t be missing on a rugged smartphone. The Ulefone Armor runs on Android 6.0 Marshmallow right out of the box.
Ulefone Armor Full Phone Specifications
- 2G: GSM.
- 3G: HSPA.
- 4G: LTE.
- SIM Type: Dual SIM (Micro SIM, dual standby).
- OS: Android 6.0 Marshmallow.
- Dimensions: 148.9 * 75.8 * 12.5mm.
- Weight: 195 g.
- Display: 4.7-inch, 1280 * 720 pixels HD, IPS touchscreen with Corning Gorilla Glass 3 protection.
- Build: Polycarbonate-TPU double-layer body.
- Form Factor: Touchscreen Bar.
- Colours: Black & Orange.
- Processor Name/Technology: 64-bit MediaTek MT6753.
- Processor Speed: 1.3 GHz.
- Number of Processor Cores: Octa-core.
- Graphics Processor: Mali-T720.
- RAM: 3 GB.
- Internal Storage: 16 GB.
- External Storage: microSD, up to 128 GB Unavailable.
- Sensors: Accelerometer, Light, Proximity, Fingerprint Sensor.
- Rear: 13 MP, Autofocus, LED flash.
- LED Flash: Yes.
- Video recording: Yes, 1080p.
- Front-facing: 5 MP.
- Music Support: AAC, AMR, MP2, MP3, M4A, MKA,.
- Loudspeaker: Yes.
- Audio Technology: –
- Video Support: MP4/MPEG4/H.263/H.264 player.
- FM Radio: Yes.
- Bluetooth: v4.0.
- Bluetooth Profiles: A2DP, LE.
- WiFi: Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n, Wi-Fi Direct, hotspot.
- GPS: Yes, A-GPS, GLONASS, BDS.
- USB: USB Type-C.
- USB OTG: Yes.
- NFC: Yes.
- 3.5mm audio jack: Yes.
- Battery: Non-removable Li-Ion 3500 mAh.
- Charging: Fast Charge –
- Power Management: Marshmallow’s Battery Saving mode.
- Extra Features: SOS Key to call and send location message to preset contact.
- Launch Date: November 14, 2016.
- Availability: November 2016.
- Sales stores/platforms:
- Online: Ulefone.com.
- Offline: –
- Launch Price
- Nigeria: N67000.
- Kenya: KES 16320.
- Ghana: GHS 638.
- India: Rs. 10850.
- China: 1086 Chinese Yuan.
- USA: $159.99
- UK: 129 British Pounds.
- Europe: 150 Euro.
Ulefone Armor Availability and Price Details in India, Nigeria, Kenya & Ghana
The Ulefone Armor comes in Black and Orange colours and is currently available for pre-order on the Ulefone website for $159.99. If you’re planning to get the phone, it might be a good idea to get it while it’s still on pre-sales because the price would increase to $199.99 at the end of the pre-sales.
Lastly, do not forget to subscribe for our weekly email newsletter to make sure you do not miss out on the juicy stuff in the world of tech. Use the subscription form below. Don’t forget to share this post if you like it. Cheers.